Re: system hangup - I'm lost - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: system hangup - I'm lost - FreeBSD ; Jeremy Chadwick wrote: > I can't find anything on Intel's site that clues me in; all the PDFs > are vague as far as what chips are on the board. Have you tried the Product specifications? http://download.intel.com/support/mo...254151-003.pdf Beginning on page ...

  1. Re: system hangup - I'm lost

    Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

    > I can't find anything on Intel's site that clues me in; all the PDFs
    > are vague as far as what chips are on the board.

    Have you tried the Product specifications?

    http://download.intel.com/support/mo...254151-003.pdf

    Beginning on page 33 (43 of the pdf)

    It has 3 different Server Management busses. the temperature part is
    handled within a Baseboard Management Controller. This BMC is implemented
    using a DS82CL10.
    Because it is a Server Board it offers a lot of managing features and
    other nice things like serial console at bootup and system monitoring
    features... but all unsupported withn FreeBSDs software

    > P.S. -- You're the 2nd person I've encountered in under a week who's
    > using 440BX/GX-based hardware in present day. I would not be
    > surprised if the board is simply going bad/failing due to age. :-)

    Hm - I'd wonder if this would be the case. I mean I'm using older
    hardware (Tyan Tsunami S1830S, PII300, DAC960P, RAID-1 2*IBM DFHS S2W)
    without any problems as router

    --
    Oliver Lehmann
    http://www.pofo.de/

  2. Re: system hangup - I'm lost

    Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

    > On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 06:53:09AM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

    > > Because it is a Server Board it offers a lot of managing features and
    > > other nice things like serial console at bootup and system monitoring
    > > features... but all unsupported withn FreeBSDs software

    > Really? That's interesting, because Charles Sprickman told me that
    > there is no hardware monitoring information in the BIOS if you go in
    > there. Most motherboards provide that in the BIOS as a centralised
    > place above all else.

    You are right - I could have sworn that there was such an screen in the
    BIOS but all I can see is for setting up stuff like enabling eventlog and
    posting it through a modem connection and so on - server specific stuff -
    but no display screen for "health information"...
    So you where right

    --
    Oliver Lehmann
    http://www.pofo.de/