Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS, Samba 3.2 andpossibly ACLs? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS, Samba 3.2 andpossibly ACLs? - FreeBSD ; On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:08:48PM +0200, Holger Kipp wrote: > could anyone give recommendations (or share experience) regarding > using ZFS: > > - FreeBSD 7-Stable (amd64 with 8GB RAM) > + special tuning necessary (apart from increasing ...

  1. Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS, Samba 3.2 andpossibly ACLs?

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:08:48PM +0200, Holger Kipp wrote:
    > could anyone give recommendations (or share experience) regarding
    > using ZFS:
    >
    > - FreeBSD 7-Stable (amd64 with 8GB RAM)
    > + special tuning necessary (apart from increasing kernel memory
    > to 1 or more GB for ZFS)

    Applicable loader.conf variables which should suffice:

    vm.kmem_size="1536M"
    vm.kmem_size_max="1536M"
    vfs.zfs.arc_min="16M"
    vfs.zfs.arc_max="64M"
    vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"

    You can increase arc_max gradually, and performance should increase as
    you do so. Just be aware that too large of a value could result in kmem
    exhaustion on RELENG_7.

    There is a 2GB limit on kmem on RELENG_7 (yes, both i386 AND amd64), so
    do not try to increase vm.kmem_size or kmem_size_max above what I've
    shown there (others may have chosen something slightly higher, but
    picking 2048M will cause the system not to boot). If the limit is a
    problem, consider running CURRENT which increases this to 512GB.

    The prefetch setting should improve overall system performance during
    heavy ZFS load; many of us (including core members) have found this to
    be true.

    > - email (imap)

    I've had good experience with dovecot; I tend to stay away from Cyrus
    products (disgusting code with a history of security issues), and
    Courier (no interest).

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

  2. Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS,Samba 3.2 and possibly ACLs?

    On 30 sep 2008, at 12:46, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

    > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:08:48PM +0200, Holger Kipp wrote:
    >> - email (imap)

    > I've had good experience with dovecot; I tend to stay away from Cyrus
    > products (disgusting code with a history of security issues), and
    > Courier (no interest).

    I had to disable mmap access in dovecot, or it would coredump
    periodically. (mmap_disable = yes in dovecot.conf) I found that to be
    a problem only on ZFS. I don't know if that's been fixed yet. Apart
    from that it works great.

    Ben

  3. Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS, Samba 3.2 andpossibly ACLs?

    On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:42:32AM +0200, Ben Stuyts wrote:
    > I had to disable mmap access in dovecot, or it would coredump
    > periodically. (mmap_disable = yes in dovecot.conf) I found that to be a
    > problem only on ZFS. I don't know if that's been fixed yet. Apart from
    > that it works great.

    This seems relevant to your problem:

    http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/...ch/029565.html

    HEAD had this problem fixed in rev 1.28, dated 2008/03/15.
    RELENG_7 had this problem fixed in rev 1.31.2.2, dated 2008/04/26.

    Here's the proper file in cvsweb so you can see it yourself:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...fs/zfs_vnops.c

    Have you tried re-enabling mmap in dovecot on a system with a kernel
    build after those dates? If so, does it still randomly segfault? If
    so, have you reported this to pjd@? :-)

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
    | UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA |
    | Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

  4. Re: recommended setup for amd64 7-STABLE with ZFS,Samba 3.2 and possibly ACLs?

    On 1 okt 2008, at 12:12, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

    > On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:42:32AM +0200, Ben Stuyts wrote:
    >> I had to disable mmap access in dovecot, or it would coredump
    >> periodically. (mmap_disable = yes in dovecot.conf)

    > Have you tried re-enabling mmap in dovecot on a system with a kernel
    > build after those dates?

    It's been running for a day now wit mmap enabled, and it works fine
    now. Again thanks for pointing this out.

    Ben