Re: freebsd-update missed? (was: popen() in multithreaded program- hangs?) - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: freebsd-update missed? (was: popen() in multithreaded program- hangs?) - FreeBSD ; On 20080927 01:06:22, Daniel Eischen wrote: > > It's not security related, so I don't know whether it would be in a > binary update. You should follow the procedure listed in the links > above. I'm not sure either. ...

  1. Re: freebsd-update missed? (was: popen() in multithreaded program- hangs?)

    On 20080927 01:06:22, Daniel Eischen wrote:

    > It's not security related, so I don't know whether it would be in a
    > binary update. You should follow the procedure listed in the links
    > above.

    I'm not sure either. In every description I see of freebsd-update,
    there's a claim that it installs "binary security and errata updates".

    I only use freebsd-update to update my machines and I was under the
    impression that I've been getting errata updates too.

    Could this have been missed on the system used to build updates?
    I'd be surprised, but you know, these things happen.

    I've CCd in cperciva@ to see what he thinks...

    --
    xw

  2. Re: freebsd-update missed?

    xorquewasp@googlemail.com wrote:
    > On 20080927 01:06:22, Daniel Eischen wrote:
    >> It's not security related, so I don't know whether it would be in a
    >> binary update. You should follow the procedure listed in the links
    >> above.

    > I'm not sure either. In every description I see of freebsd-update,
    > there's a claim that it installs "binary security and errata updates".
    >
    > I only use freebsd-update to update my machines and I was under the
    > impression that I've been getting errata updates too.
    >
    > Could this have been missed on the system used to build updates?
    > I'd be surprised, but you know, these things happen.
    >
    > I've CCd in cperciva@ to see what he thinks...
    >
    > --
    > xw

    I'm sure it's there..
    it may be a different problem of course.

  3. Re: freebsd-update missed?

    On 20080927 00:07:57, Julian Elischer wrote:
    > I'm sure it's there..
    > it may be a different problem of course.

    I don't know... Checking with ident gives:

    $FreeBSD: src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c,v 1.116.2.1 2006/03/16 23:29:07 deischen Exp $

    The patch claims "1.116.2.1.6.1"

    Are these the same revisions?

    I mean, if I can determine that I definitely have the patch, then I have another
    problem to worry about!

  4. Re: freebsd-update missed?

    On 20080927 04:38:53, Colin Percival wrote:
    > I missed the beginning of this thread, but looking back in the archives...
    >
    > 1. I'm very confident that FreeBSD Update is distributing the updated
    > libpthread.so.

    Right.

    > 2. If you run ident on the libpthread.so.2 which FreeBSD Update distributes,
    > or look at the src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c which FreeBSD Update
    > distributes, you'll see the old 1.116.2.1 RCS number. This is because
    > FreeBSD Update mimics "start with the released source code and then apply
    > the patches which are signed by the FreeBSD Security Officer" without a
    > detour through CVS -- that detour through CVS would be impossible, in fact,
    > since we build the binary updates before doing CVS (oops, SVN) commits.

    Ok!

    > 3. If you want to check that you have the latest libpthread.so for FreeBSD
    > 6.3, `sha256 /lib/libpthread.so.2` on an i386 system should print
    > SHA256 (/lib/libpthread.so.2) =
    > ff3fc6111331d5b64f939117daef176cc5c511362786ed6325 a2333848e80573

    Yes, seems I have the patched version.

    > 4. If your system claims to be running 6.3-RELEASE-p1 but says that there
    > are no updates needed to update to 6.3-RELEASE-p4, it probably means that
    > you installed the updated kernel which came with 6.3-RELEASE-p4 but you
    > haven't rebooted yet.

    That seems pretty likely. I tend to reboot on power outages when the UPS
    doesn't hold out...

    Thanks for this info.

    --
    xw