Re: RFC: making gpart default - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: RFC: making gpart default - FreeBSD ; Marcel Moolenaar wrote: > That's why I believe we need to attach real meaning > to the partition type. We should disallow a newfs_ufs > on a partition that is not of type freebsd-ufs. We > should disallow swapon for ...

  1. Re: RFC: making gpart default

    Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
    > That's why I believe we need to attach real meaning
    > to the partition type. We should disallow a newfs_ufs
    > on a partition that is not of type freebsd-ufs. We
    > should disallow swapon for a partition that is not
    > of type freebsd-swap. etc..

    However at present it is very convenient that one can share the swap
    partitions with Linux on a dual boot machine (at the price of running
    mkswap in the Linux boot scripts). I don't clearly see the benefit
    coming from enforcing the partition type. After all you should be able
    to do whatever you like with a chunk of your hard disk, for example
    cyclic buffers for inn, database space for databases working on
    raw disk, etc. space for ZFS which doesn't care about partition type
    (i have a ZFS partition which is marked of type Linux fs) and obviously
    swap.

    --

    Michel TALON

  2. Re: RFC: making gpart default

    On Sep 26, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Michel Talon wrote:

    > Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
    >> That's why I believe we need to attach real meaning
    >> to the partition type. We should disallow a newfs_ufs
    >> on a partition that is not of type freebsd-ufs. We
    >> should disallow swapon for a partition that is not
    >> of type freebsd-swap. etc..

    > However at present it is very convenient that one can share the swap
    > partitions with Linux on a dual boot machine (at the price of running
    > mkswap in the Linux boot scripts).

    This is already implemented.

    > After all you should be able
    > to do whatever you like with a chunk of your hard disk, for example
    > cyclic buffers for inn, database space for databases working on
    > raw disk, etc. space for ZFS which doesn't care about partition type
    > (i have a ZFS partition which is marked of type Linux fs) and
    > obviously
    > swap.

    You can still do whatever you want with a partition.

    --
    Marcel Moolenaar
    xcllnt@mac.com