Re: bad NFS/UDP performance - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: bad NFS/UDP performance - FreeBSD ; On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 10:04 +0300, Danny Braniss wrote: > Hi, > There seems to be some serious degradation in performance. > Under 7.0 I get about 90 MB/s (on write), while, on the same machine > under 7.1 it ...

  1. Re: bad NFS/UDP performance

    On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 10:04 +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
    > Hi,
    > There seems to be some serious degradation in performance.
    > Under 7.0 I get about 90 MB/s (on write), while, on the same machine
    > under 7.1 it drops to 20!
    > Any ideas?

    The scheduler has been changed to ULE, and NFS has historically been
    very sensitive to changes like that. You could try switching back to
    the 4BSD scheduler and seeing if that makes a difference. If it does,
    toggling PREEMPTION would also be interesting to see the results of.

    Gavin

  2. Re: bad NFS/UDP performance

    > On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 10:04 +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > There seems to be some serious degradation in performance.
    > > Under 7.0 I get about 90 MB/s (on write), while, on the same machine
    > > under 7.1 it drops to 20!
    > > Any ideas?

    > The scheduler has been changed to ULE, and NFS has historically been
    > very sensitive to changes like that. You could try switching back to
    > the 4BSD scheduler and seeing if that makes a difference. If it does,
    > toggling PREEMPTION would also be interesting to see the results of.
    >
    > Gavin

    I'm testing 7.0-stable vs 7.1-prerelease, and both have ULE.
    BTW, the nfs client hosts I'm testing are idle.

    danny