Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?) - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?) - FreeBSD ; Hi all, I'm traying to update a FreeBSD server box from 6.3p11 to 7.0 and I've found a rare problems. 1) I do the sync process with csup(1); next I go into /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf to edit the GENERIC file (I use ...

  1. Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?)

    Hi all,

    I'm traying to update a FreeBSD server box from 6.3p11 to 7.0 and I've
    found a rare problems.

    1) I do the sync process with csup(1); next I go into
    /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf to edit the GENERIC file (I use a custimized
    kernels) and this file doesn't exists. Mmmm.... I decide to repeat the
    process againt other cvsup mirror but I get the same results: GENERIC
    file isn't there.

    2) I go to FreeBSD CVSWeb , locate the GENERIC file under the 7_0 tag,
    copy and paste. Yes, I know: a very nasty process. The big problem
    appears when I try to do 'make cleandir' and others. I get the next outputs:

    # pwd
    /usr/src
    # make cleandir
    make: don't know how to make cleandir. Stop
    # make buildworld
    make: don't know how to make buildworld. Stop
    # ls -l /usr/bin/make
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 351024 Aug 18 13:19 /usr/bin/make
    # file /usr/bin/make
    /usr/bin/make: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1
    (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 6.3, statically linked, stripped

    ???

    * I reboot the machine (because of I suspect a very weird FS problem),
    boot in single user mode and do a 'fsck -fy'. Effectively, the fsck(8)
    found and repair several errors. Epecially, one error claims my
    attention: SUPERBLOCK.

    * After the theorical FS reparation I'm again in the point 1.

    Any clues?

    --
    Thanks,
    Jordi Espasa Clofent

  2. Re: Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?)

    On 2008-Sep-26 12:22:55 +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
    >1) I do the sync process with csup(1); next I go into
    >/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf to edit the GENERIC file (I use a custimized
    >kernels) and this file doesn't exists.

    You might like to check your CVSup site against
    http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/
    to confirm it is updating correctly. GENERIC should exist.

    >* I reboot the machine (because of I suspect a very weird FS problem),
    >boot in single user mode and do a 'fsck -fy'. Effectively, the fsck(8)
    >found and repair several errors. Epecially, one error claims my
    >attention: SUPERBLOCK.

    It might have been useful if you had kept a record of the exact
    messages. If you repeat the fsck, does it now report any problems?

    If you are using an up-to-date CVSup mirror, my next suggestion
    would be hardware problems.

    --
    Peter Jeremy

  3. Re: Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?)

    > I would do the following:
    >
    > rm -fr /usr/src/*
    > rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
    > csup -h -L 2 -g /usr/share/examples/stable-supfile

    I've done it. But the results are, at least, curious...

    # csup -h cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org -L 2 -g
    /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
    Parsing supfile "/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile"
    Connecting to cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
    Connected to 212.19.57.134
    Server software version: SNAP_16_1h
    Negotiating file attribute support
    Exchanging collection information
    Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
    Running
    Updating collection src-all/cvs
    Shutting down connection to server
    Finished successfully

    # cd /usr/src ; ls -la
    total 0

    Anythings exists now in /usr/src.

    I've tried again using another mirror and cvsup(1) instead of csup(1).
    Same results: nothing in /usr/src.

    It's desconcerting....

    > I can assure you /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC exists, and is on the cvsup
    > mirrors.

    Yes, of course. I've checked it from cvsweb.

    > Superblock problems wouldn't explain this; there are hundreds of
    > superblocks available (you wouldn't be able to use your machine if they
    > were all horked).

    I've supposed it; your words confirm it.

    --
    Thanks,
    Jordi Espasa Clofent

  4. Re: Rare problems in upgrade process (corrupted FS?)

    On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 01:23:12PM +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
    >> I would do the following:
    >>
    >> rm -fr /usr/src/*
    >> rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
    >> csup -h -L 2 -g /usr/share/examples/stable-supfile

    > I've done it. But the results are, at least, curious...
    >
    > # csup -h cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org -L 2 -g
    > /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
    > Parsing supfile "/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile"
    > Connecting to cvsup.de.FreeBSD.org
    > Connected to 212.19.57.134
    > Server software version: SNAP_16_1h
    > Negotiating file attribute support
    > Exchanging collection information
    > Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
    > Running
    > Updating collection src-all/cvs
    > Shutting down connection to server
    > Finished successfully
    >
    > # cd /usr/src ; ls -la
    > total 0

    What's df -k have to say about this? This is truly bizarre.

    Can you truss the csup process? Something like this should work:

    truss -o truss.out -s 256 csup {...flags from above...}

    Then put truss.out up somewhere where we can get to it?

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |