CPUTYPE Now Required? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on CPUTYPE Now Required? - FreeBSD ; While trying to build RELENG_6 I receive this error: make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 142: warning: "MAKEFLAGS= CPUTYPE=pentium /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make -f /dev/null -m /usr/src/share/mk -V CPUTYPE" returned non-zero status "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 144: CPUTYPE global should be set ...

  1. CPUTYPE Now Required?

    While trying to build RELENG_6 I receive this error:

    make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
    "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 142: warning: "MAKEFLAGS= CPUTYPE=pentium
    /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make -f /dev/null -m /usr/src/share/mk -V
    CPUTYPE" returned non-zero status
    "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 144: CPUTYPE global should be set with ?=.

    I've never set CPUTYPE in the past. I don't want specific CPU
    optimizations as I am building for multiple generations of processor.

    What is a person to do?

    Later,
    Jason

  2. Re: CPUTYPE Now Required?

    On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:58:15PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
    > While trying to build RELENG_6 I receive this error:
    >
    > make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
    > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 142: warning: "MAKEFLAGS= CPUTYPE=pentium
    > /usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make -f /dev/null -m /usr/src/share/mk -V
    > CPUTYPE" returned non-zero status
    > "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 144: CPUTYPE global should be set with ?=.

    You *most definitely* have CPUTYPE defined somewhere. There is no
    default make.conf, and the example make.conf in /usr/share/examples/etc
    does not define CPUTYPE=pentium anywhere.

    The error is telling you that you should use CPUTYPE?=processor, not
    CPUTYPE=processor.

    > I've never set CPUTYPE in the past. I don't want specific CPU
    > optimizations as I am building for multiple generations of processor.
    >
    > What is a person to do?

    If you've tinkered with make.conf at all, you may have some quotation
    madness going on there which is running amok. Regardless, this very
    much looks like an issue specific to your system.

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |