Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help - FreeBSD ; > "Tony Sim" writes: > > Is there a driver for GMA x4500 graphics card in Freebsd? > > I think the question you *meant* to ask is "does X.org support the GMA > X4500 series". The answer is "ask ...

  1. Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help

    > "Tony Sim" writes:
    > > Is there a driver for GMA x4500 graphics card in Freebsd?

    > I think the question you *meant* to ask is "does X.org support the GMA
    > X4500 series". The answer is "ask on an X.org mailing list".
    >
    > DES

    Hi,

    Intel X4500 is already supported by both Xorg and intel open driver:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjUzMw

    It has been even already benched:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...=intel_x4500hd

    Regards
    vermaden

  2. Re: Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help

    On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 10:37 +0900, Tony Sim wrote:
    > Yes, i've read those reviews. I also know that the current port tree seems
    > to have the latest version of the driver. I've also read, however, that
    > drivers in Freebsd, by default, have disabled support for Intel's later
    > graphics cards, and this seems to be in agreement in the description of the
    > port.... and furthermore, my laptop, which has the said graphic card,
    > constantly crashes whenever xorg tries to deal with the graphics card. By
    > this i mean the entire freebsd crashes...
    >
    > So since it apparently works with linux and xorg, the driver is there... the
    > question is, does it work in freebsd?

    I am not currently aware of any such limitation. That said, I probably
    need to sync up our agp_i810 with a few new pci id's. We run the same
    drm code that linux does, though I'm still not exactly clear on what
    features they have actually shipped with a release. All Intel cards are
    "AGP" and therefore have to use agp_i810 which I suppose I am
    responsible for now. Send me pci id's and I can check on it...

    robert.

    > > > I think the question you *meant* to ask is "does X.org support the GMA
    > > > X4500 series". The answer is "ask on an X.org mailing list".
    > > >
    > > > DES

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Intel X4500 is already supported by both Xorg and intel open driver:
    > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjUzMw
    > >
    > > It has been even already benched:
    > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...=intel_x4500hd
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > vermaden

  3. Re: Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 04:48:46PM -0400, Robert Noland wrote:
    > On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 21:48 -0400, Robert Noland wrote:
    > >
    > > I am not currently aware of any such limitation. That said, I probably
    > > need to sync up our agp_i810 with a few new pci id's. We run the same
    > > drm code that linux does, though I'm still not exactly clear on what
    > > features they have actually shipped with a release. All Intel cards are
    > > "AGP" and therefore have to use agp_i810 which I suppose I am
    > > responsible for now. Send me pci id's and I can check on it...

    > I have a patch for this now. It is located at
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/a...-g33-g45.patch
    >
    > I need testers with g33 and g45 series chips.

    Hello!

    I have:

    vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=0x030000 card=0x82761043 chip=0x29c28086 rev=0x02
    hdr=0x00
    vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
    device = '(Bearlake) Integrated Graphics Controller'
    class = display
    subclass = VGA

    It works before the patch and with it. With the patch from dmesg:

    vgapci0: port 0xbc00-0xbc07 mem 0xfe980000-0xfe9fffff,0
    xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xfe800000-0xfe8fffff irq 16 at device 2.0 on pci0
    agp0: on vgapci0
    agp0: detected 7164k stolen memory
    agp0: aperture size is 256M
    agp0: AGP_I810_PGTBL_CTL: 00000001
    agp0: AGP_I855_GCC1: 0x30
    agp0: AGP_I915_MSAC: 0x00
    agp0: Aperture resource size: 268435456 bytes
    drm0: on vgapci0
    vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
    info: [drm] AGP at 0xd0000000 256MB
    info: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080312

    dri is broken in both cases (with or without your patch).
    Server starts with dri enabled but when I run glxgears it crashes with
    the the log in Xorg.0.log.old and it cannot start anymore with the log
    in Xorg.0.log (both attached).

    Thanks,
    Alexey.

  4. Re: Intel GMA x4500 / xorg help

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 04:01:18PM -0400, Robert Noland wrote:

    On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 21:48 -0400, Robert Noland wrote:
    > On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 10:37 +0900, Tony Sim wrote:
    > > Yes, i've read those reviews. I also know that the current port tree seems
    > > to have the latest version of the driver. I've also read, however, that
    > > drivers in Freebsd, by default, have disabled support for Intel's later
    > > graphics cards, and this seems to be in agreement in the description of the
    > > port.... and furthermore, my laptop, which has the said graphic card,
    > > constantly crashes whenever xorg tries to deal with the graphics card. By
    > > this i mean the entire freebsd crashes...
    > >
    > > So since it apparently works with linux and xorg, the driver is there... the
    > > question is, does it work in freebsd?

    > I am not currently aware of any such limitation. That said, I probably
    > need to sync up our agp_i810 with a few new pci id's. We run the same
    > drm code that linux does, though I'm still not exactly clear on what
    > features they have actually shipped with a release. All Intel cards are
    > "AGP" and therefore have to use agp_i810 which I suppose I am
    > responsible for now. Send me pci id's and I can check on it...

    I have a patch for this now. It is located at
    http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/a...-g33-g45.patch

    I need testers with g33 and g45 series chips.

    robert.

    Tested on 7.1 from today, previously this did not detect but now it does:

    vgapci0: port 0xef98-0xef9f mem 0xf6c00000-0xf6ffffff,0xe0000000-0xefffffff
    irq 16 at device 2.0 on pci0
    agp0: on vgapci0
    agp0: detected 32252k stolen memory
    agp0: aperture size is 256M
    agp0: AGP_I810_PGTBL_CTL: 00000001
    agp0: AGP_I855_GCC1: 0x50
    agp0: AGP_I915_MSAC: 0x00
    agp0: Aperture resource size: 268435456 bytes

    Thanks! A few times I've seen X lock up and exit (I don't have the error
    handy) but it has only been when I was using fluxbox. I'm currently using
    twm while gnome compiles but I kindof assume that problem has more to do
    with the intel video driver rather than agp?