Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware - FreeBSD ; On 4 Sep 2008, at 10:29 AM, Gavin Atkinson wrote: > This is supported by the iwn(4) driver in CURRENT, and it should be > quite easy to port the driver to 7-STABLE. If you're interested in > reinstalling FreeBSD ...

  1. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On 4 Sep 2008, at 10:29 AM, Gavin Atkinson wrote:

    > This is supported by the iwn(4) driver in CURRENT, and it should be
    > quite easy to port the driver to 7-STABLE. If you're interested in
    > reinstalling FreeBSD and testing a backported driver, I'm sure this
    > can
    > be sorted.

    I am interested in doing this. Please advise on how I can get these
    bits.

    Dan

  2. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 03:06:42PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:54:23PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Another problem is lack of hardware. 88E8040 seems to be intialized
    > > > after applying the patch but link establishment seem to fail. :-(

    > > I can purchase and send you a Marvel 88E8040 NIC, assuming we can find a
    > > PCI or PCIe card somewhere that uses one. Otherwise, I could purchase a
    > > motherboard which uses the IC and send that to you.
    > >

    > I failed to find a standalone PCI/PCIe NIC based on 88E8040
    > controller in local store.

    I'll look around, and if I can't find anything, contact Marvell asking
    which of their clients use their 88E8040 in standalone PCI/PCIe NICs.

    If push comes to shove, I'll pick up a motherboard that has the 88E8040
    on it and ship it to you free of cost.

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

  3. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 01:12:29PM -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
    > On 5 Sep 2008, at 9:43 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    >> I cannot find a single PCI/PCIe card that uses the 88E8040.

    > I wonder how Ubuntu supports this ethernet chip? It is amazing that
    > only two Dell's use this chip. Maybe it is not worth worrying about
    > after all...

    The reason I'm "worried" about it is that both of those laptop models,
    especially the Inspiron, are becoming increasingly common. The Inspiron
    is decently priced/affordable, which means more and more people will
    start to come out of the woodwork stating FreeBSD doesn't work with its
    Ethernet chip.

    This is mainly for Yong-Hyeon:

    The code for the Linux driver is in sky2.c. You can get a "revision
    history" with dates by clicking on the weird triangle image on the far
    left, or get a commit comments by clicking on "CSets" (which is quite
    useful). Clicking on the actual sky2.c link provides an annotated
    version.

    http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.../net/?PAGE=dir

    It appears Linux got support for the 88E8040 in September 2007 (revision
    1.2.73). Support for the 88E8040T was added in June 2008 (revision
    1.330.1.3).

    The 1.2.73 commit also added support for the 88E8048 and the 88E8070.
    This might be of great help in tracking down just what register tweaks
    they added to get support working:

    http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2...x0TcSvNe1G-elw

    However, there is a comment at the very top that says "this driver lacks
    link management", indicating PHY support might be somewhere else in the
    Linux kernel. If that's the case, this code might not be of much help.
    It might be worth getting in contact with the driver author,
    shemminger@linux-foundation.org, or jeff@garzik.org, and asking for
    tips.

    > Don't kill yourself over this. It is not the end of the world. It
    > appears I will be able to get my Intel 4965 Wireless working in which
    > case I can use that. I have lots of computers in which I can run
    > FreeBSD.

    It doesn't surprise me that only two products on the US market (that I
    can find) use this chip. I blogged about the horrible state of Ethernet
    chips used on consumer products back in July; everyone is using
    Realtek or Attansic/Atheros now, which means they pretty much have a
    stronghold on the consumer market. I wouldn't be concerned with this if
    their chips weren't buggy as hell.

    http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2008/07/...-will-it-stop/

    The same problem applies to laptops, although I believe in the case of
    the laptop market, engineers often (justifiably) look for chips which
    draw the least amount of power, rather than "the cheapest chip" (which
    appears to be Realtek).

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
    | UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA |
    | Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

  4. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 05:50:36PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > It appears Linux got support for the 88E8040 in September 2007 (revision
    > 1.2.73). Support for the 88E8040T was added in June 2008 (revision
    > 1.330.1.3).
    >
    > The 1.2.73 commit also added support for the 88E8048 and the 88E8070.
    > This might be of great help in tracking down just what register tweaks
    > they added to get support working:
    >
    > http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2...x0TcSvNe1G-elw

    The Linux folks refer to these chips as "FE+". The below URL shows
    quite a lot of commits for FE+ stuff, as well as documentation of actual
    hardware bugs on some revisions of those chips.

    http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2...c?PAGE=related

    CSet revisions worth looking at (clicking the revision string will take
    you to a page allowing annotation and diffs, which is helpful):

    CSet 1.6247.61.6 -- initial support for FE+ chips
    CSet 1.6247.61.21 -- fix for PHY initialisation in FE+ chips
    CSet 1.6247.96.1 -- fix for recv status hardware bug in FE+ chips
    CSet 1.6247.96.2 -- disable VLAN acceleration for FE+ chips (status reg. unreliable)
    CSet 1.7736 -- disable dynamic Tx watermark support on FE+ chips

    A lot of these commits are for hardware revision A0 of certain FE+
    chips; looks like rev. A0 has a lot of bugs. Yong-Hyeon might be
    interested in the PHY initialisation fix, since I can imagine that could
    affect link negotiation.

    The first CSet in the above list has the following comment. Note the
    part about "hardware evaluation boards":

    "Add support for newest Marvell chips. The Yukon FE plus chip is found
    in some not yet released laptops. Tested on hardware evaluation
    boards."

    It appears to me even the Linux guys couldn't get hardware for these
    chips, without talking to Marvell directly.

    --
    | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
    | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
    | UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA |
    | Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

  5. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > Ironically, I just bought an Inspiron 1525 for a friend of mine's son
    > as a birthday gift, so I do have access to one indirectly, and can
    > probably borrow it for a day or two if need be. It lacks a serial
    > port, so I'd have to buy a USB serial adapter for serial console if
    > remote console was needed.

    Just FYI.. This won't work.
    You need a 'real' serial port for console, the other option would be to
    use Firewire (if the laptop has it).

    are so many of them to choose from."
    -- Andrew Tanenbaum

  6. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 11:27:11AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
    > > On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > > > Ironically, I just bought an Inspiron 1525 for a friend of mine's
    > > > son as a birthday gift, so I do have access to one indirectly,
    > > > and can probably borrow it for a day or two if need be. It lacks
    > > > a serial port, so I'd have to buy a USB serial adapter for serial
    > > > console if remote console was needed.

    > > Just FYI.. This won't work.
    > > You need a 'real' serial port for console, the other option would
    > > be to use Firewire (if the laptop has it).

    > Ah, now that I think about it, I see why it won't work... good catch.
    > I didn't think it all the way through. :-)
    >
    > Firewire is an alternative which won't work for a different reason:
    > none of my BSD machines at home have support for Firewire. Bummer.

    A PCI Firewire card can be had for $20 or so..

    Much nicer than RS232 debugging too (a ****load faster for a start)

    are so many of them to choose from."
    -- Andrew Tanenbaum

  7. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On 7 Sep 2008, at 7:57 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

    > You need a 'real' serial port for console, the other option would be
    > use Firewire (if the laptop has it).

    The Dell Inspiron 1525 DOES have a mini-Firewire port on the front of
    the machine.

    Dan

  8. Re: Inspiron 1525 Hardware

    On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 06:06:55PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 05:50:36PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > > It appears Linux got support for the 88E8040 in September 2007 (revision
    > > 1.2.73). Support for the 88E8040T was added in June 2008 (revision
    > > 1.330.1.3).
    > >
    > > The 1.2.73 commit also added support for the 88E8048 and the 88E8070.
    > > This might be of great help in tracking down just what register tweaks
    > > they added to get support working:
    > >
    > > http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2...x0TcSvNe1G-elw

    > The Linux folks refer to these chips as "FE+". The below URL shows
    > quite a lot of commits for FE+ stuff, as well as documentation of actual
    > hardware bugs on some revisions of those chips.
    >
    > http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2...c?PAGE=related
    >
    > CSet revisions worth looking at (clicking the revision string will take
    > you to a page allowing annotation and diffs, which is helpful):

    Are you proposing to be a msk(4) maintainer? :-)

    > CSet 1.6247.61.6 -- initial support for FE+ chips
    > CSet 1.6247.61.21 -- fix for PHY initialisation in FE+ chips
    > CSet 1.6247.96.1 -- fix for recv status hardware bug in FE+ chips
    > CSet 1.6247.96.2 -- disable VLAN acceleration for FE+ chips (status reg. unreliable)
    > CSet 1.7736 -- disable dynamic Tx watermark support on FE+ chips

    Thanks for the valuable information. Due to the complexity of
    Yukon II hardware and its bugs for each revision msk(4) still
    requires lots of workaround code. The patch you've mentioned in
    CSet 1.6247.61.21 might help for FE+ but the reason why it needed
    that patch is not clear. Marvell released 88E8016 datasheet which
    seem to be used on FE+. The datasheet just mentions that the
    purpose of the bit of PHY specific control register II choose a
    behavour(Class A or Class B). I have no idea why FE+ requires class
    A configuration due to lack of errata information. Also datasheet
    says that it is only for 100baseTX. I wonder what happens on
    10baseT media. Anyway, this kind of testing requires hardware
    access I guess.

    Unlike Linux, e1000phy(4) is shared for all other drivers so it's
    somewhat difficult to program as Linux did. As you might know the
    PHY fix is only for FE+ A0 and it's hard to pass that information
    to PHY driver without hack. Let's see what can be done...

    > A lot of these commits are for hardware revision A0 of certain FE+
    > chips; looks like rev. A0 has a lot of bugs. Yong-Hyeon might be

    Yes, I have no idea how revision A0 could be released to customer.
    This chip revision looks like worst one I ever seen on consumer
    products.

    > interested in the PHY initialisation fix, since I can imagine that could
    > affect link negotiation.
    >
    > The first CSet in the above list has the following comment. Note the
    > part about "hardware evaluation boards":
    >
    > "Add support for newest Marvell chips. The Yukon FE plus chip is found
    > in some not yet released laptops. Tested on hardware evaluation
    > boards."
    >
    > It appears to me even the Linux guys couldn't get hardware for these
    > chips, without talking to Marvell directly.

    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon

  9. iwn(4) (Intel 4965 wireless) backport (was: Re: Inspiron 1525Hardware)

    On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 18:48 +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 11:32 -0600, Dan Allen wrote:
    > > On 4 Sep 2008, at 10:29 AM, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
    > >
    > > > This is supported by the iwn(4) driver in CURRENT, and it should be
    > > > quite easy to port the driver to 7-STABLE. If you're interested in
    > > > reinstalling FreeBSD and testing a backported driver, I'm sure this
    > > > can be sorted.

    > > I am interested in doing this. Please advise on how I can get these
    > > bits.

    > I've got hold of a laptop with the 4965 chipset in it, if nobody beats
    > me to it I'll have a go at backporting the driver.

    OK, I've backported the iwn(4) driver for the Intel 4965 wireless
    chipset to 7-STABLE.

    You need both of:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/iwn-7/iwn-7.tgz
    http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/iwn-7/iwn-7.diff

    Both are relative to /usr and are against 7-STABLE (although may well
    apply to 7.0-RELEASE cleanly).

    Please note that there are a couple of issues with this driver that
    aren't seen with the driver in -HEAD. Firstly, it only supports B/G
    channels, it doesn't work with 802.11a. Apparently this is due to a
    firmware issue which the driver in -HEAD works around, although I don't
    know how yet.

    Secondly, there may be a slight issue with regulatory domains. I'm not
    certain about this, but I was seeing issues while trying to associate to
    an access point on channel 13g, changing the AP to channel 1g fixes
    things.

    Even with those two caveats, I can say that so far in my testing it's
    been working very well. However, even if the driver works for you, I'm
    pretty sure it's too late for a merge before 7.1.

    Lastly, as the laptop is on loan to me and I'm going to have to give it
    back soon, I don't know if I'll have a chance to do any further work on
    this driver. I'm still interested in stories of success or otherwise.

    Thanks,

    Gavin

  10. Re: iwn(4) (Intel 4965 wireless) backport

    On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 16:08 +0300, Stefan Lambrev wrote:
    > Hi Gavin,
    >
    > Gavin Atkinson wrote:

    > >> I've got hold of a laptop with the 4965 chipset in it, if nobody beats
    > >> me to it I'll have a go at backporting the driver.
    > >>

    > > OK, I've backported the iwn(4) driver for the Intel 4965 wireless
    > > chipset to 7-STABLE.
    > >
    > > You need both of:
    > > http://people.freebsd.org/~gavin/iwn-7/iwn-7.tgz

    > No messages just a reset... FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #29: Tue Jul 29 16:13:47
    > EEST 2008 i386
    > May be I should try with more recent -stable ?

    Are you loading this while in X or on the console? If X, can you try
    from a console and see if anything else happens before the reboot (like
    a panic)?

    I don't believe there are any changes between 7.0 and stable that would
    result in a panic under an earlier version. You could try recompiling
    your kernel with "options GDB/KDB/DDB" and "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" and
    see if you get dropped to the debugger, if you do the result of the
    command "bt" would be very useful.

    Thanks,

    Gavin