Removing /usr/lib32 on AMD64 - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Removing /usr/lib32 on AMD64 - FreeBSD ; Hi. Looking through man src.conf I found the knob WITHOUT_LIB32 and recompiled my world with it since I have no use for 32-bit compatibility on my AMD64. After installworld I realized that /usr/lib32 was still there and still populated. Searching ...

  1. Removing /usr/lib32 on AMD64

    Hi.

    Looking through man src.conf I found the knob WITHOUT_LIB32 and
    recompiled my world with it since I have no use for 32-bit compatibility
    on my AMD64. After installworld I realized that /usr/lib32 was still
    there and still populated. Searching for information I found this bugreport:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=117191&cat=

    Judging from that report and the fact that the dates on the files in
    /usr/lib32 wasn't updated I figured it was ok to simply remove them. I
    just want to make sure there's nothing else I have to do to cleanly
    remove 32-bit compatibility? I can see during boot that there is still
    some reference to 32-bit compatibility. The following message flashes by
    on the screen:

    ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib
    /usr/local/lib/mysql
    32-bit compatibility ldconfig path:

    I can track the last row to /etc/rc.d/ldconfig but can't figure out if
    that script can take any options in /etc/rc.conf to stop looking for
    32-bit libraries. There are no error messages what I can see so
    everything is probably ok, just want to make absolutely sure. Anyone who
    can share some insight on this?

    Regards
    Morgan Wesström

  2. Re: Removing /usr/lib32 on AMD64

    Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > I don't remember if 7.0-RELEASE sysinstall lists it, but I know
    > 7.0-STABLE does.

    Oh, that explains it. I installed RELEASE and am still on RELEASE tbh.
    Sorry for being on the wrong list... :-/

    >> I don't rememeber any obvious question at least and
    >> /etc/src.conf did not exist efter install.

    > What relevancy does this have to sysinstall? Nothing during sysinstall
    > touches src.conf. Every FreeBSD system will be missing /etc/src.conf
    > after an install; the same goes for /etc/make.conf. It's normal.

    WITHOUT_LIB32 is supposed to be in src.conf. If it's missing on STABLE,
    wouldn't that mean 32-bit compatibility would be added to STABLE at next
    world rebuild or is there another mechanism preventing this from happen?

    >> There are references in ldconfig to a couple of options I find in
    >> /etc/defaults/rc.conf
    >> Should I blank those? /usr/local/libdata/ldconfig32 is an empty folder here.

    > No, do not blank them; they will not be used, as was shown to you by
    > /etc/rc.d/ldconfig's output not utilising any 32-bit paths. There's no
    > point in blanking something that won't get used, it'll just confuse
    > someone who looks at the system or lead them astray.

    Message received and understood. Leaving them alone. :-)

    >> There's also a /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 left, with the same old date as
    >> the libs, and a symlink from /usr/libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 pointing to it.
    >> Should I leave them or remove them? They were not mentioned in the diff
    >> in the bugreport.

    > You should safely be able to remove those as well, assuming you have
    > rebuilt/reinstalled world, and rebuilt all of your ports. Otherwise
    > upon removal, programs utilising ld-elf32.so.1, won't have a valid
    > ld.so loader, and will fail immediately.

    World is rebuilt but I haven't rebuilt my ports but they shouldn't have
    been built against the 32-bit libraries in the first place, should they?
    64-bit libraries are the default choice I assume or am I missing
    something vital here? I'll remove them and see what happens when I
    reboot. It will be an exciting start of the day ;-)

    Thanks again for your help, It's highly appreciated.
    /Morgan