Laptop suggestions? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Laptop suggestions? - FreeBSD ; On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 13:31 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote: > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:06:20PM -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote: > > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Gary Kline wrote: > > > >> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Laptop suggestions?

    On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 13:31 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:06:20PM -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote:

    > >> I've seen that Fn key, but don't know what it is for. What? you press
    > >> it, then follow with the integers [ 1, 2, 3 ... ]? At any rate, maybe
    > >> you can remap the key with ~/.xmodmaprc.

    > > Fn is usually used on laptop keyboards to allow two logical keys to share
    > > a single physical key. For example, see the keyboard pictured at
    > > http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/3415.jpg . On the extreme lower
    > > right is a key with "->" in white and "End" in blue. Pressing it by
    > > itself sends the keycode corresponding to an ordinary keyboard's "->"
    > > key. Holding Fn and pressing that key sends the keycode corresponding to
    > > an ordinary keyboard's "End" key. On many keyboards, pressing Fn by
    > > itself sends no keycode at all, so it cannot be remapped.
    > >
    > > It is also sometimes used to control hardware features which on a desktop
    > > machine might have a different interface. For instance, on the laptop
    > > pictured, holding Fn and pressing F6 would increase the screen
    > > brightness, probably without sending a keycode. A desktop machine would
    > > probably have a button on the monitor itself to do this.

    Thanks for clearing up a back-of-mind mystery since I bought my 600E in
    2003;
    I kept hitting the "Fn" for the ^ key, and *nothing happened* so I had
    to re-type the control sequence. It is an ill-planned layout and I'm
    sure that 'BM has heard about it from us hacker types. --Why this is
    the best list in the (known) universe. Seriously.

    > I always figured "Fn" was a good name for the key, given that it
    > resembles the expletive that comes forth from my mouth when intending to
    > hit Control.

    That ain't that much of a joke, Jeremy. unless I'm at my desk with
    wrist-rest I can barely reach the back keys. [shoulder problems]. So
    far I've invented around 7--maybe 8--new profanities.

    BTW, if that jpeg is a Lenovo, is that a scratch-and-sniff pad below the
    mouse buttons? (The TPad's *did* need a redesign, but for me, the
    trakmouse/trakstick/<> was perfect. My left paw went right
    there.) ...FWIW, I just bought a G41 (3.06GHz) pre-Lenovo.

    gary

    > http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/9328.jpg
    >
    > ;-)

  2. Re: Laptop suggestions?

    On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 13:31 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
    > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:06:20PM -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote:

    > >> I've seen that Fn key, but don't know what it is for. What? you press
    > >> it, then follow with the integers [ 1, 2, 3 ... ]? At any rate, maybe
    > >> you can remap the key with ~/.xmodmaprc.

    > > Fn is usually used on laptop keyboards to allow two logical keys to share
    > > a single physical key. For example, see the keyboard pictured at
    > > http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/3415.jpg . On the extreme lower
    > > right is a key with "->" in white and "End" in blue. Pressing it by
    > > itself sends the keycode corresponding to an ordinary keyboard's "->"
    > > key. Holding Fn and pressing that key sends the keycode corresponding to
    > > an ordinary keyboard's "End" key. On many keyboards, pressing Fn by
    > > itself sends no keycode at all, so it cannot be remapped.
    > >
    > > It is also sometimes used to control hardware features which on a desktop
    > > machine might have a different interface. For instance, on the laptop
    > > pictured, holding Fn and pressing F6 would increase the screen
    > > brightness, probably without sending a keycode. A desktop machine would
    > > probably have a button on the monitor itself to do this.

    Thanks for clearing up a back-of-mind mystery since I bought my 600E in
    2003;
    I kept hitting the "Fn" for the ^ key, and *nothing happened* so I had
    to re-type the control sequence. It is an ill-planned layout and I'm
    sure that 'BM has heard about it from us hacker types. --Why this is
    the best list in the (known) universe. Seriously.

    > I always figured "Fn" was a good name for the key, given that it
    > resembles the expletive that comes forth from my mouth when intending to
    > hit Control.

    That ain't that much of a joke, Jeremy. unless I'm at my desk with
    wrist-rest I can barely reach the back keys. [shoulder problems]. So
    far I've invented around 7--maybe 8--new profanities.

    BTW, if that jpeg is a Lenovo, is that a scratch-and-sniff pad below the
    mouse buttons? (The TPad's *did* need a redesign, but for me, the
    trakmouse/trakstick/<> was perfect. My left paw went right
    there.) ...FWIW, I just bought a G41 (3.06GHz) pre-Lenovo.

    gary

    > http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/9328.jpg
    >
    > ;-)

  3. Re: Laptop suggestions?

    Gary Kline writes:
    > I've seen that Fn key, but don't know what it is for. What? you press
    > it, then follow with the integers [ 1, 2, 3 ... ]? At any rate, maybe
    > you can remap the key with ~/.xmodmaprc.

    They're used to access keys which won't physically fit on a laptop
    keyboard, such as the numeric keypad, NumLock, ScrollLock etc., and
    (along with function keys) to control hardware-specific functions like
    switching between internal and external display, turning bluetooth and
    wlan on and off, adjusting the backlight brightness, etc.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  4. Re: Laptop suggestions?

    Gary Kline writes:
    > I've seen that Fn key, but don't know what it is for. What? you press
    > it, then follow with the integers [ 1, 2, 3 ... ]? At any rate, maybe
    > you can remap the key with ~/.xmodmaprc.

    They're used to access keys which won't physically fit on a laptop
    keyboard, such as the numeric keypad, NumLock, ScrollLock etc., and
    (along with function keys) to control hardware-specific functions like
    switching between internal and external display, turning bluetooth and
    wlan on and off, adjusting the backlight brightness, etc.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  5. Re: Laptop suggestions?

    Ian Smith writes:
    > Re your original issue, can you get any mileage out of using acpi_ibm,
    > devd and this post and/or the other one it references:

    The laptop in question does not run FreeBSD. I gave up running FreeBSD
    on any sort of desktop or laptop computer years ago.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

  6. Re: Laptop suggestions?