OpenJDK status on FreeBSD - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on OpenJDK status on FreeBSD - FreeBSD ; Dear FreeBSD Java team (Cc: Kay Ramme), I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...ng_to_java_1_5 and he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms. http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK So - I'd ...

  1. OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

    Dear FreeBSD Java team
    (Cc: Kay Ramme),

    I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports
    for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry
    http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...ng_to_java_1_5
    and
    he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms.
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK

    So - I'd like to ask you about OpenJDK porting status.
    AFAIK, it is not available in the ports tree

    Thank you very much for your cooperation.

    All the best,
    -- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

  2. Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:54:34AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
    >Dear FreeBSD Java team
    >(Cc: Kay Ramme),
    >
    >I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports
    >for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry
    >http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...ng_to_java_1_5
    >and
    >he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms.
    >http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK
    >
    >So - I'd like to ask you about OpenJDK porting status.
    >AFAIK, it is not available in the ports tree
    >-- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

    JDKs and JREs for FreeBSD are available from
    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.

    Tarballs are available now, packages will be available in a few days.

  3. Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

    From: Dave
    Subject: Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD
    Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

    > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:54:34AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
    > >Dear FreeBSD Java team
    > >(Cc: Kay Ramme),
    > >
    > >I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports
    > >for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry
    > >http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...ng_to_java_1_5
    > >and
    > >he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms.
    > >http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK
    > >
    > >So - I'd like to ask you about OpenJDK porting status.
    > >AFAIK, it is not available in the ports tree
    > >-- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

    > JDKs and JREs for FreeBSD are available from
    > http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.
    >
    > Tarballs are available now, packages will be available in a few days.

    Thanks for your reply...but I'd like to know OpenJDK status,
    and it seems Javas we can download here
    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.
    are all 1.6.0. Is OpenJDK==1.6.0?

    Thanks,
    -- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

  4. Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

  5. Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:41:30AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
    >From: Dave
    >Subject: Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD
    >Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:12:39 -0700 (PDT)
    >
    >> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:54:34AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
    >> >Dear FreeBSD Java team
    >> >(Cc: Kay Ramme),
    >> >
    >> >I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports
    >> >for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry
    >> >http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...ng_to_java_1_5
    >> >and
    >> >he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms.
    >> >http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK
    >> >
    >> >So - I'd like to ask you about OpenJDK porting status.
    >> >AFAIK, it is not available in the ports tree
    >> >-- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

    >> JDKs and JREs for FreeBSD are available from
    >> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.
    >>
    >> Tarballs are available now, packages will be available in a few days.

    >Thanks for your reply...but I'd like to know OpenJDK status,
    >and it seems Javas we can download here
    >http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.
    >are all 1.6.0. Is OpenJDK==1.6.0?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >-- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

    The latest and greatest OpenJDK appears to be version 7.
    Read about the status of OpenJDK at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK.

  6. Re: OpenJDK status on FreeBSD

    On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 09:54:34AM +0900, Maho NAKATA wrote:
    > Dear FreeBSD Java team
    > (Cc: Kay Ramme),
    >
    > I'm Nakata Maho who is maintaining OpenOffice.org FreeBSD ports
    > for long time. Here I read Kay's blog entry
    > http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/...ng_to_java_1_5
    > and
    > he is collecting the status of OpenJDK for platforms.
    > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenJDK
    >
    > So - I'd like to ask you about OpenJDK porting status.
    > AFAIK, it is not available in the ports tree
    >
    > Thank you very much for your cooperation.
    >
    > All the best,
    > -- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/

    We've cleared our legal hurdles on OpenJDK and will be proposing a port
    to BSD shortly. There are already patches against an older version of
    OpenJDK, so the port should ramp up fairly quickly. The plan is to
    integrate all of our changes before the JDK 7 FCS. We'd like to get
    changes integrated into the OpenJDK 6 tree before that too and get a
    port out based on it.

    Note that there are some patches that we'll have to exclude from the port
    for now due to legal issues. We don't see them as critical and will be
    reimplementing them on a clean room basis where possible.

    --
    Greg Lewis Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
    Eyes Beyond Web : http://www.eyesbeyond.com