On Thu, Jul 17, 2008, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2008-07-17 00:09, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> > Possibly just the "reverse" of the startup deps?

> Ah, I just see this in rc(8):
>
> Operation of rc.shutdown
> 3. Invoke rcorder(8) to order the files in /etc/rc.d/ and the
> $local_startup directories that have a ``shutdown'' KEYWORD (refer
> to rcorder(8)'s -k flag), reverse that order, and assign the result
> to a variable.
>
> e.g. it's already taken care of, apparently.

This just reverses the startup deps, as you suggested earlier.
I seem to recall that there was at least one example from Solaris
where that was the wrong thing to do. (Clearly it's also overly
conservative in some cases.) But they were trying to do more
sophistocated things as well, such as automatically restart failed
services. (This isn't trivial because when services depend on each
other, it's hard to tell which one failed, and it may even take
some trial and error.) Maybe we just haven't run into any situations
where it matters.