ATA subsystem lost drive after resume process - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on ATA subsystem lost drive after resume process - FreeBSD ; Hello all. I have a laptop Lenovo T61 with a FreeBSD current installed on it. uname -a FreeBSD snasonovnbwxp.bcc 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #9: Mon Jul 14 17:00:33 MSD 2008 snasonov@snasonovnbwxp.bcc :/usr/current/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM i386 I want to understand why suspend/resume does not ...

  1. ATA subsystem lost drive after resume process

    Hello all.

    I have a laptop Lenovo T61 with a FreeBSD current installed on it.
    uname -a

    FreeBSD snasonovnbwxp.bcc 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #9: Mon Jul 14
    17:00:33 MSD 2008
    snasonov@snasonovnbwxp.bcc:/usr/current/src/sys/i386/compile/CUSTOM i386

    I want to understand why suspend/resume does not work. Suspend process works
    fine, but resume lead to hang. LCD screen after resume process remains
    black. At first I compile minimal CUSTOM kernel without USB support. And
    disabled SMP support through sysctl variable
    kern.smp.disabled=1

    Also hw.acpi.reset_video was set to 1 to properly initialise LCD screen.

    After resume I can view folowing:
    ata0: reiniting channel ..
    ata0: reset tp1 mask=03 ostat0=80 ostat=00
    ata0: stat0=0x00 er=0x01 lsb=0x14 msb=0xeb
    ata0: stat1=0x00 err=0x00 lsb=0x00 msb=0x00
    ata0: reset tp2 stat0=00 stat1=00 devices 0x10000
    ata0: reinit done ..
    ata1: reiniting channel ..
    ata1: reset tp1 mask =00 ostat0=ff ostat1=ff
    ata1: reiniting done ..
    ata2: reiniting channel ..
    ata2: SATA connect time=0ms
    ata2: BUSY wait time =1ms
    ata2: SIGNATURE:ffffffff
    ata2: No signature, assuming disk device
    ata2: ahci_reset devices=00000001
    em0: Link is up 100 Mbps Full duplex
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
    ata2: reinit done
    ata3: reiniting channel ..
    ata3: port not implemented
    ata3: reinit done ..
    ata4: reiniting channel ..
    ata4: SATA connect status=00000000
    ata4: phy reset found no device
    ata4: reinit done ..
    atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0047
    atkbd: keyboard ID 0x54ab (2)
    battery0: battery initialization start
    battery0: battery initialization done, tried 1 times
    ata2: reiniting channel ..
    ata2: SATA connect time=0ms
    ata2: BUSY wait time =1ms
    ata2: SIGNATURE:00000101
    ata2: ahci_reset devices=00000001
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE taskqueue timeout - completing
    request directly
    ad4: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout - completing request directly

    I disabled DMA and cache write but problem remains.
    sysctl hw.ata

    hw.ata.setmax: 0
    hw.ata.wc: 0
    hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0
    hw.ata.ata_dma: 0

    I wrote this log from a screen, because disk subsystem does not save any data
    to disk. So the basic issue preventing normal suspend/resume process on
    modern Lenovo laptops is ata subsystem. Does anyone can help with this
    problem? I can test any path or provide additional info.

    verbose dmesg and pciconf -lv is attached

    Thanks,
    Sergey

  2. Re: RFC, RFT: AHCI driver reorganization

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

    [snip all]

    AVE> It's sad, I just tried fix problems. But if you want to do it himself, ok.

    Andy, it seems it would be feasible to create perforce branch where you can
    commit your step-by-step pactches so at least committers can test them?

    Sincerely,
    D.Marck [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
    [ FreeBSD committer: marck@FreeBSD.org ]