Netbeans 6.1, no profiler... - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Netbeans 6.1, no profiler... - FreeBSD ; hi everyone, I'm running latest netbeans, jdk1.5 and jdk.1.6 ports, defaulting to 1.6, on 7-STABLE (kernel +world from yesterday) . When I launch netbeans, i'm welcomed with this msg: ----- Failed to initialize the Profiler engine: Problem with a required ...

  1. Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    hi everyone,
    I'm running latest netbeans, jdk1.5 and jdk.1.6 ports, defaulting to 1.6, on 7-STABLE (kernel +world from yesterday) . When I launch netbeans, i'm welcomed with this msg:

    -----
    Failed to initialize the Profiler engine: Problem with a required JFluid installation directory or file /usr/local/netbeans/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/solaris

    Original message: File does not exist.
    -----

    One of the reasons I'm interested in testing netbeans vs Eclipse is the built in profiler. What is needed to get it to work ?

    thx,

  2. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:50:33PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
    > hi everyone,
    > I'm running latest netbeans, jdk1.5 and jdk.1.6 ports, defaulting to 1.6,on
    > 7-STABLE (kernel +world from yesterday) . When I launch netbeans, i'm
    > welcomed with this msg:
    >
    > -----
    > Failed to initialize the Profiler engine: Problem with a required JFluid
    > installation directory or file
    > /usr/local/netbeans/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/solaris
    >
    > Original message: File does not exist.
    > -----
    >
    > One of the reasons I'm interested in testing netbeans vs Eclipse is the
    > built in profiler. What is needed to get it to work ?

    You may find it interesting to read the thread I started some time ago

    http://www.nabble.com/NetBeans-6.1-P...d17274121.html

    I was not able to get it work, however may be with recent patches for JDK 1.5
    and 1.6 it will work? Could you please give it a try if possible, and let me
    know was you able to get the profiler in NetBeans working?

    BTW I was never able to get the profiler in Eclipse 3.3.2 to work under
    FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0 with JDK 1.6 - it just crashes

    --
    Eugene N Dzhurinsky

  3. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    On Jul 13, 1:50*pm, free...@meijome.net (Norberto Meijome) wrote:
    > hi everyone,
    > I'm running latestnetbeans, jdk1.5 and jdk.1.6 ports, defaulting to 1.6, on *7-STABLE (kernel +world from yesterday) * . When I launchnetbeans, i'm welcomed with this msg:
    >
    > -----
    > Failed to initialize theProfilerengine: Problem with a required JFluid installation directory or file /usr/local/netbeans/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/solaris
    >
    > Original message: File does not exist.
    > -----

    Hi B,
    the main reason is that profiler libs are not compiled for FreeBSD and
    profiler itself is not tested and supported at this OS.
    However, since it's an opensource project, all contributions are
    welcome. I think it should be sufficient to create a build script for
    FreeBSD and add this OS to the list of supported OSes.

    If any of you decides to undertake this challenge we (the profiler
    team) will give you all the support needed. You can contact us at
    users@profiler.netbeans.org

    Regards

    Jaroslav Bachorik
    NetBeans Profiler & VisualVM Development

    > One of the reasons I'm interested in testingnetbeansvs Eclipse is the built inprofiler. What is needed to get it to work ?
    >
    > thx,

  4. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    I'm having the same issue as well. A lot of NetBeans
    non-functionality has to do with the fact that the ML builds aren't
    FreeBSD-aware. They misidentify the platform as FreeBSD.

    --
    Appeasement only makes the aggressor more aggressive
    He understands only one language action!

    Sabeeh Ahmed Baig

  5. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    Please disregard the previous e-mail. There's a mistak ein there.

    I'm having the same issue as well. A lot of NetBeans
    non-functionality has to do with the fact that the ML builds aren't
    FreeBSD-aware. They misidentify the platform as Solaris.

    --
    Appeasement only makes the aggressor more aggressive
    He understands only one language action!
    And he respects only one word force!
    -Megadeth | Blackmail the Universe

    Sabeeh Ahmed Baig

  6. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:12:03AM -0400, Sabeeh Baig wrote:
    > Please disregard the previous e-mail. There's a mistak ein there.
    >
    > I'm having the same issue as well. A lot of NetBeans
    > non-functionality has to do with the fact that the ML builds aren't
    > FreeBSD-aware. They misidentify the platform as Solaris.

    In fact this is not the issue at all - placing required SO into solaris
    directory do the trick, however profiler still doesn't work because it is not
    able to initiate JVMPI code for debugging and profiling. It's not something
    about NetBeans - but something works in a wrong way in native JDK, it seems.

    It might be interesting to check if NetBeans works fine with Linux JDK, of
    course after building the shared objects required for debugging for Linux

    --
    Eugene N Dzhurinsky

  7. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    I'm well aware of that. The profiler issue doesn't have anything to
    do with Solaris, and I never mentioned the specific issue. There are
    certain issues such as RCP, which require editing run.xml to get
    NetBeans to work correctly. I think it's best to start porting over
    NetBeans so that it builds on FreeBSD, rather than relying on Sun for
    generic builds, but somebody would have to be willing to put in the
    work.

    --

    Sabeeh Ahmed Baig

  8. Re: Netbeans 6.1, no profiler...

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:43:23 +0300
    Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:

    > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 09:50:33PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
    > > hi everyone,
    > > I'm running latest netbeans, jdk1.5 and jdk.1.6 ports, defaulting to 1.6, on
    > > 7-STABLE (kernel +world from yesterday) . When I launch netbeans, i'm
    > > welcomed with this msg:
    > >
    > > -----
    > > Failed to initialize the Profiler engine: Problem with a required JFluid
    > > installation directory or file
    > > /usr/local/netbeans/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/solaris
    > >
    > > Original message: File does not exist.
    > > -----
    > >
    > > One of the reasons I'm interested in testing netbeans vs Eclipse is the
    > > built in profiler. What is needed to get it to work ?

    > You may find it interesting to read the thread I started some time ago
    >
    > http://www.nabble.com/NetBeans-6.1-P...d17274121.html
    >
    > I was not able to get it work, however may be with recent patches for JDK 1.5
    > and 1.6 it will work? Could you please give it a try if possible, and let me
    > know was you able to get the profiler in NetBeans working?
    >
    > BTW I was never able to get the profiler in Eclipse 3.3.2 to work under
    > FreeBSD 6.3 and 7.0 with JDK 1.6 - it just crashes

    thanks, i will try maybe later in the week, time permiting.