Re: Failure building apache22 and mysql51 - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: Failure building apache22 and mysql51 - FreeBSD ; > Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:43:04 +0300 > From: Sorin P?nca > Hello people! > I recently upgraded a amd64 machine from FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE-p11 to > FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE-p2 using the tutorial found at > http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007...n-upgrade.html > All went well with the ...

  1. Re: Failure building apache22 and mysql51

    > Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:43:04 +0300
    > From: Sorin P?nca

    > Hello people!
    > I recently upgraded a amd64 machine from FreeBSD-6.2-RELEASE-p11 to
    > FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE-p2 using the tutorial found at
    > http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007...n-upgrade.html
    > All went well with the base system.

    I don't want to patronise, but are you sure you were running
    FreeBSD/amd64-6.2 before? Looks kinda like you've tried to upgrade
    from 6.2/i386 to 7.0/amd64. In case you have, you can't do that.

    Check you haven't disabled and processor-specific extensions in your
    BIOS, like SSE, that would also create problems if you have optimised
    your ports.

    Chris

    > I thought devel/linuxthreads was using some old library so I tried to
    > rebuild it:
    >
    > # cd ../../devel/linuxthreads && make install clean # portupgrade -f
    > wouldn't do anything
    > ===> linuxthreads-2.2.3_23 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.
    > *** Error code 1
    >
    > Stop in /usr/ports/devel/linuxthreads.
    >

    > Any ideas what to do next?
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Sorin.

  2. Re: Failure building apache22 and mysql51

    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:20:13PM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
    > 2008/7/14 Sorin P滱ca :
    > > I'm sorry for my late response, I was on vacation.
    > > I think this was the case (although I thought we have only amd64 machines).
    > > Is there a way to recover from this situation by ssh access only?
    > >
    > > Thank you!
    > > Sorin.

    > >> I don't want to patronise, but are you sure you were running
    > >> FreeBSD/amd64-6.2 before? Looks kinda like you've tried to upgrade
    > >> from 6.2/i386 to 7.0/amd64. In case you have, you can't do that.
    > >>
    > >> Check you haven't disabled and processor-specific extensions in your
    > >> BIOS, like SSE, that would also create problems if you have optimised
    > >> your ports.
    > >>
    > >> Chris

    > If I understand you correctly, you want to revert to FreeBSD/i386; in
    > which case I'd advise that you are *extremely* careful, and make sure
    > that everything important is recompiled in i386; FreeBSD/amd64 can run
    > binaries from FreeBSD/i386, but not vice-versa.
    >
    > I *think* that you should be ok running a source update (csup sources,
    > make buildworld installworld kernel) with arch as i386, then reboot,
    > pkg_delete -f portupgrade\*, pkg_add -r portupgrade, portupgrade -faP
    > etc

    Installworld is supposed to be done after a reboot, in this case
    (cross-build) you'll have a 32-bit kernel stuck with a 64-bit
    userland. That won't work.

    If you do the installworld before the reboot with a cross-buils, it will
    be the other way around. I'm not sure if the installworld will even
    complete; every system binary that is replaced will be of the wrong
    architecture.

    > Don't take my word for it, it is beyond my expertise, I've
    > deliberately made it obtuse; get someone with more knowledge to
    > elucidate :P

    If you have a spare partition, you could install the new kernel and
    userland there, and then switch partitions. If that's not an option,
    make backups of your data and re-install with the i386 version. It's
    quicker and probably less painfull.

    For changing architectures you'll also have to remove all ports/packages
    and re-compile/install them for the new architecture. But you should do
    that anyway when going from 6.x to 7.

    Roland
    --
    R.F.Smith http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
    pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914 B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

+ Reply to Thread