Re: problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL onsparc64? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL onsparc64? - FreeBSD ; On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, John Birrell wrote: > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:53:02PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote: >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, John Birrell wrote: >> >>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 09:06:41AM +0000, ...

  1. Re: problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL onsparc64?

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, John Birrell wrote:

    > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:53:02PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

    >>> Is this an up-to-date RELENG_7 system? If so, I think it should have the

    >> check the text file references. It has an uname -a in the first line.
    >>
    >> It is a 7-CURRENT from 2006. UPDATING says we support updating from 6
    >> or newer so something is wrong. Either bootstrapping or UPDATING. I
    >> guess it's the former...

    > I thought our policy was that you had to update to the latest on a RELENG_X
    > branch before updating to the next branch or to current.

    UPDATING says:

    20080123:
    To upgrade to -current after this date, you must be running
    FreeBSD not older than 6.0-RELEASE. Upgrading to -current
    from 5.x now requires a stop over at RELENG_6 or RELENG_7 systems.

    --
    Bjoern A. Zeeb Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.

  2. Re: problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL onsparc64?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, John Birrell wrote:

    > On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:46:00PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
    >> All that said, I'd really like to be able to continue building head on
    >> RELENG_6. (In my case I have a rather fast RELENG_6 box so I have been
    >> doing my pre-commit testing there.) Do the changes we're discussing
    >> here involve anything that makes that difficult?

    > Possibly. :-)
    >
    > It depends on whether your RELENG_6 box is up-to-date with respect to the
    > RELENG_6 branch.
    >
    > I think that as current diverges more from 7 it will be harder to keep the
    > tree building on 6.

    I think the problem here simply is that you are relying on the headers
    to be installed on the base system instead of in src|obj copies. I do
    not know if/how we do it for bootstrapping though.

    /bz

    --
    Bjoern A. Zeeb Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.