Call for testers: re(4) and RTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Call for testers: re(4) and RTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP - FreeBSD ; I have been working on supporting RealTek controllers above for several weeks. These new controllers seems to use different descriptor format as well as new registers to control jumbo frame. Unfortunately no datasheets are available for these controllers so I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Call for testers: re(4) and RTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

  1. Call for testers: re(4) and RTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP


    I have been working on supporting RealTek controllers above for
    several weeks. These new controllers seems to use different
    descriptor format as well as new registers to control jumbo frame.
    Unfortunately no datasheets are available for these controllers so
    I need feedbacks from these hardware owners. The patch I made added
    basic support for checksum offload. ATM TSO and jumbo frame support
    were disabled for these controllers.

    I don't have any of these hardwares so if you have one of these
    hardwares please give it try and let me know how it goes. Some
    users reported success but I'd like to get more feedback because
    re(4) supports too many variants and I don't like to break supports
    for old RealTek hardwares.

    The patch was generated against CURRENT but it should apply to
    RELENG_7 too. You can find the patch at the following URL.

    http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607

    Thanks.
    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  2. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 12:59:11 +0900
    Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > I don't have any of these hardwares so if you have one of these
    > hardwares please give it try and let me know how it goes. Some
    > users reported success but I'd like to get more feedback because
    > re(4) supports too many variants and I don't like to break supports
    > for old RealTek hardwares.


    Wow!! Quite Good Works my RTL8169SBL (cardbus). I confirmed
    following operations:

    (ok) probe&attach
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    re0: port 0x3100-0x31ff mem 0xb0103000-0xb01031ff irq 22 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
    re0: Chip rev. 0x10000000
    re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus1: on re0
    rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus1
    rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re0: Ethernet address: 00:e0:4c:77:ab:e8
    re0: [FILTER]
    re0: link state changed to DOWN
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    (ok) ifconfig re0 (w/o cable disconnect)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    re0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=399b
    ether 00:e0:4c:77:ab:e8
    media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
    status: no carrier
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    (ok) cable connected
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    re0: link state changed to UP
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    (ok) dhclient re0
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    re0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=399b
    ether 00:e0:4c:77:ab:e8
    inet 192.168.XXX.XXX netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.XXX.255
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX )
    status: active
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    (ok) plug&pray
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    rgephy0: detached
    miibus1: detached
    re0: detached
    cardbus0: Expecting link target, got 0x0
    re0: port 0x3100-0x31ff mem 0xb0103000-0xb01031ff irq 22 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
    re0: Chip rev. 0x10000000
    re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus1: on re0
    rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus1
    rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re0: Ethernet address: 00:e0:4c:77:ab:e8
    re0: [FILTER]
    re0: link state changed to DOWN
    re0: link state changed to UP
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Of course, no panic!! Thank you!!
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  3. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On 2008-06-07 05:59, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607


    With this patch, all my re's stop working. No packets go in, no
    packets go out anymore, it's just as if the interface isn't going up at
    all... Reverting to the RELENG_7 kernel makes them work again.
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  4. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

    > I have been working on supporting RealTek controllers above for
    > several weeks. These new controllers seems to use different
    > descriptor format as well as new registers to control jumbo frame.
    > Unfortunately no datasheets are available for these controllers so
    > I need feedbacks from these hardware owners. The patch I made added
    > basic support for checksum offload. ATM TSO and jumbo frame support
    > were disabled for these controllers.
    >
    > I don't have any of these hardwares so if you have one of these
    > hardwares please give it try and let me know how it goes. Some
    > users reported success but I'd like to get more feedback because
    > re(4) supports too many variants and I don't like to break supports
    > for old RealTek hardwares.


    Using CURRENT, I didn't notice any problems with:

    re0: port 0xc000-0xc0ff mem 0xeb000000-0xeb0000ff irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
    re0: Chip rev. 0x04000000
    re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus0: on re0
    rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus0
    rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto

    fk@africanqueen ~ $pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 re0
    re0@pci0:0:9:0: class=0x020000 card=0x816910ec chip=0x816910ec rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
    vendor = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device = 'RTL8110SB Single-Chip Gigabit LOM Ethernet Controller'
    class = network
    subclass = ethernet

    Fabian

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (FreeBSD)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkhL4F0ACgkQBYqIVf93VJ1ABwCeIFLtPjsK+5 QqtV0wOE43CixL
    ZakAoJvxMj9+SFK1BpS7ONqw/Iwvpb1D
    =Bqt1
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  5. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    > The patch was generated against CURRENT but it should apply to
    > RELENG_7 too. You can find the patch at the following URL.


    Works well so far on RELENG_7 with an Asus P5B onboard re:

    re0: Ethernet> port 0xc800-0xc8ff mem 0xfeaff000-0xfeafffff irq 19 at
    device 0.0 on pci3
    re0: turning off MSI enable bit.
    re0: Chip rev. 0x30000000
    re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus0: on re0
    rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus0
    rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
    1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re0: Ethernet address: 00:17:31:f2:32:59
    re0: [FILTER]


    re0@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x81681043 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device = 'RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC'
    class = network
    subclass = ethernet

    Thanks,
    Josh
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  6. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 02:00:59PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
    > On 2008-06-07 05:59, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607

    >
    > With this patch, all my re's stop working. No packets go in, no
    > packets go out anymore, it's just as if the interface isn't going up at
    > all... Reverting to the RELENG_7 kernel makes them work again.


    Would you show me re(4) related part of dmesg output?

    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  7. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On 2008-06-09 03:26, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607

    > > With this patch, all my re's stop working. No packets go in, no

    > Would you show me re(4) related part of dmesg output?


    Hmm, it's very strange. One reboot, the interfaces don't work, the next
    one they do! It's a bit unpredictable...

    dmesg after patch:

    re0: port 0xf000-0xf0ff mem 0xfdfff000-0xfdfff0ff irq 18 at device 9.0 on pci0
    re0: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus0: on re0
    rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus0
    rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re0: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a8
    re0: [FILTER]
    re1: port 0xf200-0xf2ff mem 0xfdffe000-0xfdffe0ff irq 19 at device 11.0 on pci0
    re1: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    re1: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus1: on re1
    rgephy1: PHY 1 on miibus1
    rgephy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re1: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a9
    re1: [FILTER]

    ifconfig says both interfaces have rxcsum, txcsum and tso4 on:

    re0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=399b
    ....
    re1: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=399b
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  8. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:26:02PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
    > On 2008-06-09 03:26, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607
    > > > With this patch, all my re's stop working. No packets go in, no

    > > Would you show me re(4) related part of dmesg output?

    >
    > Hmm, it's very strange. One reboot, the interfaces don't work, the next
    > one they do! It's a bit unpredictable...
    >
    > dmesg after patch:
    >
    > re0: port 0xf000-0xf0ff mem 0xfdfff000-0xfdfff0ff irq 18 at device 9.0 on pci0
    > re0: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    > re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    > miibus0: on re0
    > rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus0
    > rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    > re0: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a8
    > re0: [FILTER]
    > re1: port 0xf200-0xf2ff mem 0xfdffe000-0xfdffe0ff irq 19 at device 11.0 on pci0
    > re1: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    > re1: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    > miibus1: on re1
    > rgephy1: PHY 1 on miibus1
    > rgephy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    > re1: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a9
    > re1: [FILTER]
    >
    > ifconfig says both interfaces have rxcsum, txcsum and tso4 on:
    >
    > re0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    > options=399b
    > ...
    > re1: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    > options=399b


    Would you show me the output of "devinfo -rv | grep oui"?

    Thanks.
    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  9. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On 2008-06-09 14:32, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607
    > > > > With this patch, all my re's stop working. No packets go in, no
    > > > Would you show me re(4) related part of dmesg output?

    > Would you show me the output of "devinfo -rv | grep oui"?


    That gives:

    rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    rgephy1 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  10. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:45:00PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
    > On 2008-06-09 14:32, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > > > > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080607
    > > > > > With this patch, all my re's stop working. No packets go in, no
    > > > > Would you show me re(4) related part of dmesg output?

    > > Would you show me the output of "devinfo -rv | grep oui"?

    >
    > That gives:
    >
    > rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    > rgephy1 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1


    The PHY model number is 0x02 which doesn't have advanced link power
    saving feature so I guess the issue is not related with PHY.

    Would you try updated patch?
    http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080610
    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  11. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On 2008-06-10 07:05, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    > > rgephy1 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1

    >
    > The PHY model number is 0x02 which doesn't have advanced link power
    > saving feature so I guess the issue is not related with PHY.
    >
    > Would you try updated patch?
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080610


    This seems to work better, although it still takes quite some time
    (~10s) for the interfaces to go up at boot time. I haven't yet been
    able to get them "stuck", however, so that's good.

    dmesg didn't change:

    re0: port 0xf000-0xf0ff mem 0xfdfff000-0xfdfff0ff irq 18 at device 9.0 on pci0
    re0: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus0: on re0
    rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus0
    rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re0: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a8
    re0: [FILTER]
    re1: port 0xf200-0xf2ff mem 0xfdffe000-0xfdffe0ff irq 19 at device 11.0 on pci0
    re1: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    re1: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    miibus1: on re1
    rgephy1: PHY 1 on miibus1
    rgephy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    re1: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a9
    re1: [FILTER]

    devinfo:
    re0 pnpinfo vendor=0x10ec device=0x8167 subvendor=0x16f3 subdevice=0x10ec class=0x020000 at slot=9 function=0
    Interrupt request lines:
    18
    I/O ports:
    0xf000-0xf0ff
    I/O memory addresses:
    0xfdfff000-0xfdfff0ff
    miibus0
    rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    re1 pnpinfo vendor=0x10ec device=0x8167 subvendor=0x16f3 subdevice=0x10ec class=0x020000 at slot=11 function=0
    Interrupt request lines:
    19
    I/O ports:
    0xf200-0xf2ff
    I/O memory addresses:
    0xfdffe000-0xfdffe0ff
    miibus1
    rgephy1 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  12. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:45:11PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
    > On 2008-06-10 07:05, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > > > rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    > > > rgephy1 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1

    > >
    > > The PHY model number is 0x02 which doesn't have advanced link power
    > > saving feature so I guess the issue is not related with PHY.
    > >
    > > Would you try updated patch?
    > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/re.HEAD.20080610

    >
    > This seems to work better, although it still takes quite some time
    > (~10s) for the interfaces to go up at boot time. I haven't yet been
    > able to get them "stuck", however, so that's good.


    Hmm, that's interesting. Can you spot where re(4) spends its time?
    Did RELENG_7 also have this issue?
    Plugging/unplugging UTP cable to ethernet controller during boot
    change the long delay? How about disabling WOL before system
    shutdown?(e.g. ifconfig re0 -wol)

    >
    > dmesg didn't change:
    >
    > re0: port 0xf000-0xf0ff mem 0xfdfff000-0xfdfff0ff irq 18 at device 9.0 on pci0
    > re0: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    > re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    > miibus0: on re0
    > rgephy0: PHY 1 on miibus0
    > rgephy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    > re0: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a8
    > re0: [FILTER]
    > re1: port 0xf200-0xf2ff mem 0xfdffe000-0xfdffe0ff irq 19 at device 11.0 on pci0
    > re1: Chip rev. 0x18000000
    > re1: MAC rev. 0x00000000
    > miibus1: on re1
    > rgephy1: PHY 1 on miibus1
    > rgephy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
    > re1: Ethernet address: 00:30:18:a6:f1:a9
    > re1: [FILTER]
    >
    > devinfo:
    > re0 pnpinfo vendor=0x10ec device=0x8167 subvendor=0x16f3 subdevice=0x10ec class=0x020000 at slot=9 function=0
    > Interrupt request lines:
    > 18
    > I/O ports:
    > 0xf000-0xf0ff
    > I/O memory addresses:
    > 0xfdfff000-0xfdfff0ff
    > miibus0
    > rgephy0 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1
    > re1 pnpinfo vendor=0x10ec device=0x8167 subvendor=0x16f3 subdevice=0x10ec class=0x020000 at slot=11 function=0
    > Interrupt request lines:
    > 19
    > I/O ports:
    > 0xf200-0xf2ff
    > I/O memory addresses:
    > 0xfdffe000-0xfdffe0ff
    > miibus1
    > rgephy1 pnpinfo oui=0x732 model=0x11 rev=0x2 at phyno=1


    --
    Regards,
    Pyun YongHyeon
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


  13. Re: Call for testers: re(4) andRTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

    On 2008-07-14 03:35, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
    > Here is patch for re(4) link handling.
    > Copy if_re.c and if_rlreg.h from HEAD to RELENG_7 and apply
    > attached one. If you still see watchdog timeouts, please turn off
    > TSO and let me know how it goes.


    I've tested this trough several reboots, and I haven't been bitten by
    any watchdogs yet. I'll run some stress tests today, to see if it
    handles that too.


    > One user reported TSO issues on 8169 family controllers but I
    > can't reproduce this on my 8169 hardware so it could be related
    > with silicon bug of sepecific revision of the hardware.


    I'm using re's default settings, which seem to be:

    re0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=399b

    So TSO for IPv4 but not IPv6, right? I haven't yet seen any problems
    because of it. What would be a good way to "exercise" TSO?
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"


+ Reply to Thread