Re: Is it possible to create a directory under /dev? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: Is it possible to create a directory under /dev? - FreeBSD ; Norberto Meijome wrote: > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:02:08 +0300 > Andriy Gapon wrote: > >> But, by the way, there is a (slightly) more valid reason to want to >> create a directory under /dev, I recently had ...

  1. Re: Is it possible to create a directory under /dev?

    Norberto Meijome wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:02:08 +0300
    > Andriy Gapon wrote:
    >
    >> But, by the way, there is a (slightly) more valid reason to want to
    >> create a directory under /dev, I recently had it. For one non-standard
    >> third-party application I needed to create a link to existing device in
    >> a certain subdirectory. I.e.:
    >> /dev/subdirX/device -> /dev/deviceX
    >> And I couldn't do that.
    >> Or maybe link operation for devfs just needs to be taught about creating
    >> subdirectories on demand. I don't know.

    > you can create links with devfs - man devfs.conf
    > [...]
    > link This action creates a symbolic link named arg that points to
    > devname, the name of the device created by devfs(5).
    > [..]

    I do know that.
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough: "/dev/deviceX" was existing device node and
    I needed to create "/dev/subdirX/device" link, where directory
    "/dev/subdirX" didn't exist.
    Any help on this?

    --
    Andriy Gapon

  2. Re: Is it possible to create a directory under /dev?

    On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 09:37:01AM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
    > Norberto Meijome wrote:
    > >On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:02:08 +0300
    > >Andriy Gapon wrote:
    > >
    > >>But, by the way, there is a (slightly) more valid reason to want to
    > >>create a directory under /dev, I recently had it. For one non-standard
    > >>third-party application I needed to create a link to existing device in
    > >>a certain subdirectory. I.e.:
    > >>/dev/subdirX/device -> /dev/deviceX
    > >>And I couldn't do that.
    > >>Or maybe link operation for devfs just needs to be taught about creating
    > >>subdirectories on demand. I don't know.

    > >you can create links with devfs - man devfs.conf
    > >[...]
    > >link This action creates a symbolic link named arg that points to
    > > devname, the name of the device created by devfs(5).
    > >[..]

    > I do know that.
    > Maybe I wasn't clear enough: "/dev/deviceX" was existing device node and
    > I needed to create "/dev/subdirX/device" link, where directory
    > "/dev/subdirX" didn't exist.
    > Any help on this?

    As an ugly workaround, you may create an directory on ufs filesystem,
    populate it with needed symlinks, and then make a symlink /dev/subdirX ->
    the directory.

    I would prefer not to allow users to create the directories on the devfs.
    On the other hand, I like Solaris approach with devfs on /devices and /dev
    being populated with short symlinks to ../devices.

+ Reply to Thread