Jail resource limits - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Jail resource limits - FreeBSD ; http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits Is this anthing people are working on? Is it on its way to RELENG_7? Is there a 7-version of the patch or anything? This would be a _VERY_ useful feature. -- Peter Ankerst嶚 peter@pean.org _______________________________________________ freebsd-stable@freebsd.org mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...freebsd-stable ...

  1. Jail resource limits

    --
    Peter Ankerst嶚
    peter@pean.org

  2. Re: Jail resource limits

    Peter Ankerst嶚 wrote:
    > http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits
    >
    > Is this anthing people are working on? Is it on its way to RELENG_7?
    > Is there a 7-version of the patch or anything? This would be a _VERY_
    > useful feature.

    Hi,
    AFAIK nobody is working on it. A year ago there was newer release of the
    patch against CURRENT at that time (FreeBSD 7) [1]
    http://www.ualberta.ca/~cdjones/jail-cpumem-current.tgz
    I never test this patch on current, only version for 6.x and if patch
    for current were made without improvements, it contains same bugs as
    patch for 6.x (eg.: not showing memory usage).

    There are some other guys trying to do the same, but I never saw patches
    published.
    Andrew Snow - Jails as a VPS [2]
    Alex Lyashkov - Jail2 aka FreeVPS [3a][3b]

    Or fixes for C.D. Jones work:
    Chris Thunes - jtune not showing resource usage - fixed [4] (note -
    attached patch is reversed) [5]

    So as you can see, there were some talks about Jail improvements for one
    year existence of this mailinglist (freebsd-jail@freebsd.org), also it
    is two years from SoC [6] and we still don't have anything commited to
    7.x or to CURRENT. It is sad. There is little attention to jails, only
    few people are able to do some coding work etc.

    If the are somebody with skills and time to resurrect some mentioned
    projects, I am willing to help with testing.

    Also it will be good to have some up-to-date wiki page with "all the
    patches" (resource limits, SysV IPC, multiple IPs...) and status of this
    work, so people can easily find and try it.

    Miroslav Lachman

    [1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ne/000030.html

    [2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ry/000152.html

    [3a] http://docs.freevps.com/doku.php?id=freebsd:index
    [3b] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...ne/005293.html

    [4] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...st/000060.html

    [5]
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/000101.html

    [6] http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits

    Other links:
    jail services:
    http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsiaBSDCon_2...l_services.pdf
    kernel level virtualisation requirements:
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/f...er/006872.html

  3. Re: Jail resource limits

+ Reply to Thread