/usr/local/jdk1.6.0/src.zip - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/src.zip - FreeBSD ; Hi, After installing JDK 1.6, there's a file "src.zip" in /usr/local/jdk1.6.0. The file's size is 18 MB. Is that file required for correct operation of the JDK, or can it be safely deleted? Best regards Oliver -- Oliver Fromme, secnetix ...

  1. /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/src.zip

    Hi,

    After installing JDK 1.6, there's a file "src.zip"
    in /usr/local/jdk1.6.0. The file's size is 18 MB.

    Is that file required for correct operation of the
    JDK, or can it be safely deleted?

    Best regards
    Oliver

    Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Gesch輎tsfuehrung:
    secnetix Verwaltungsgesellsch. mbH, Handelsregister: Registergericht Mn-
    chen, HRB 125758, Gesch輎tsfhrer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart

    FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd

    "I learned Java 3 years before Python. It was my language of
    choice. It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
    productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts

  2. Re: /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/src.zip

    Hello Oliver,

    > After installing JDK 1.6, there's a file "src.zip"
    > in /usr/local/jdk1.6.0. The file's size is 18 MB.
    >
    > Is that file required for correct operation of the
    > JDK, or can it be safely deleted?

    >From /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/README.html:

    "(In src.zip) Java programming language source files for all classes that
    make up the Java core API [...]. This source code is provided for
    informational purposes only, to help developers learn and use the Java
    programming language."

    I think that answers the question. ;-)

    Regards
    Bj顤n

  3. Re: /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/src.zip

    Bjoern Koenig wrote:
    > > After installing JDK 1.6, there's a file "src.zip"
    > > in /usr/local/jdk1.6.0. The file's size is 18 MB.
    > >
    > > Is that file required for correct operation of the
    > > JDK, or can it be safely deleted?

    > > From /usr/local/jdk1.6.0/README.html:

    > "(In src.zip) Java programming language source files for all classes that
    > make up the Java core API [...]. This source code is provided for
    > informational purposes only, to help developers learn and use the Java
    > programming language."
    >
    > I think that answers the question. ;-)

    Yes, it does. Thanks.
    Removing it reduces the space requirements by 33%.

    Best regards
    Oliver

    Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, Gesch輎tsfuehrung:
    secnetix Verwaltungsgesellsch. mbH, Handelsregister: Registergericht Mn-
    chen, HRB 125758, Gesch輎tsfhrer: Maik Bachmann, Olaf Erb, Ralf Gebhart

    FreeBSD-Dienstleistungen, -Produkte und mehr: http://www.secnetix.de/bsd

    "Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster."
    -- Niklaus Wirth