On May 9, 2008, at 12:46 , Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> There is an issue about compatibility. That is, if one starts using
> 4.1, then moves to 4.4, the underlying database may not work
> properly as
> no conversion steps are taken. Historically, e-d-s always used 3.x
> (and
> internal copy). But we found we could move to 4.1, and link
> dynamically. If we were to relax the DB dependency, we would need
> confirmation that we can move from 4.1 to 4.4 safely.

How about a compromise?

Change it to USE_BDB?=41+ and have a pre-everything target that looks
at the computed BDB_VER, and pops up a "you might hose yourself"
message if it's something other than 41?

I understand the backwards-compat issues, but it seems a little odd to
have a specific BDB dependency for this when most other BDB-using
ports can at least have the option to try alternatives.

-aDe