Re: Improving Syslog - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on Re: Improving Syslog - FreeBSD ; Robert Watson schrieb: > managed if done carefully. I'm not sure if you've looked at Apple's > extended syslog, which among other things, includes a binary log file > format making it more mechanically searched and managed, do take a ...

  1. Re: Improving Syslog

    Robert Watson schrieb:
    > managed if done carefully. I'm not sure if you've looked at Apple's
    > extended syslog, which among other things, includes a binary log file
    > format making it more mechanically searched and managed, do take a look
    > if you haven't.

    I read the asl man pages
    (http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTA...an3/asl.3.html)
    because I am looking for an API to support the new fields in
    syslog-protocol.
    I liked the approach of adding different attributes to a message object,
    I think that would work well for structured data parametern.
    But the asl functions would have to be extended for syslog-protocol
    because they do not use namespaces for the key=value pairs.

    The log storage and filter mechanisms are interesting, but IMHO out of
    scope for a basic syslogd.
    If desired one could probably write a small tool to use an indexed BDB
    for storage and attach it with a pipe to syslogd.

    --
    Martin

  2. Re: Improving Syslog

    On May 7, 12:34 am, li...@mschuette.name (Martin Schütte) wrote:
    > I read the asl man pages
    > (http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTA...ce/ManPages/ma...)
    > because I am looking for an API to support the new fields insyslog-protocol.
    > I liked the approach of adding different attributes to a message object,
    > I think that would work well for structured data parametern.
    > But the asl functions would have to be extended forsyslog-protocol
    > because they do not use namespaces for the key=value pairs.

    I like the idea of a new API and asl is obviously heading into the
    right direction. If, as part of your project, you specify and
    implement a new API on BSD, I will probably follow you and port that
    to Linux. Maybe it helps to do it as portable as possible right from
    the beginning. A new API would definitely be quite beneficial and is
    actually needed to make sense out of structured data. If will be a
    tough task to not just implement it but get it in widespread use.
    Having it supported by the default syslogd on (a number of) BSDs and
    Linuxes is probably helpful here.

    > The log storage and filter mechanisms are interesting, but IMHO out of
    > scope for a basic syslogd.
    > If desired one could probably write a small tool to use an indexed BDB
    > for storage and attach it with a pipe to syslogd.

    I agree.

    Rainer

+ Reply to Thread