Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 08:16:01PM +0200, Roman Divacky wrote:

>>> This one, at least, is due to an issue Roman pointed out on hackers@ in the
>>> last 24 hours -- a MAXPATHLEN sized buffer on the stack. Looks like
>>> pfs_readlink() has the same issue.

>> I plan to look at some of the MAXPATHLEN usage... I guess we can shave a few
>> tens of KBs from the kernel (static size and runtime size).

> Why are single-digit kilobytes of memory space interesting, in this
> context? Is the concern about L1 data cache footprint, for performance
> reasons? If that is the case, the MAXPATHLEN bufffer will only really
> occupy the amount of cache actually touched.

We used to have 1 page in the beginning, but
that quickly went to 2. We now Have, I think, 4 (I should go look I
guess.). But that was with the possibility of multiple
interrupt frames all stacking on top of each other. Now that that has,
been kept to a minimum we might be able to get to one or two again if
we tried.. kernel stacks are a scarse resource.. they are not really
swappable and are always present.

> I've long wondered about the seemingly fanatical stack size concern in
> kernel space. In other domains (where I have more experience) you can
> get good performance benefits from the essentially free memory management
> and good cache re-use that comes from putting as much into the
> stack/call-frame as possible.

That is an interesting point..