Hi,

there was already a very complete response from Max, however, I'd like to
comment one part anyway,

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:15:30 -0700 (PDT), Passive PROFITS
wrote:

> Anyway - any pointers to something more at my level
> appreciated, if there is anything in existence. I do
> appreciate I'm most likely asking my first stupid
> question to any FreeBSD list. Doesn't seem like an OS
> people arrive at without first being a bit of an
> expert, which I am patently, not!

Don't be afraid, IMO FreeBSD is not an OS where you need to be a Unix
expert before.
In fact, I switched from the Windows World (used from 1990 - yeah, Dr DOS,
MS DOS - to 1998) directly to the FreeBSD world.
Not even a pit-stop with any Linux distribution.
So I started using FreeBSD without any unix know-how.
Whut? I have to build a kernel? How? Why? Heeelp.

Stick to the handbook, ask polite questions and you'll be up and running
:-)

After learning how to use a Unix system with FreeBSD, I was forced to use
some Linux distributions (forced by my employer, compensated by a big
check). However, I always came back to FreeBSD. It's just my Unix of
choice, and probably it will always be

To cut it short: Don't be afraid, just start reading the handbook, it
really helps.

best regards,
Marian

PS.: In fact, learning how to use FreeBSD helped me big times to understand
how to operate Linux systems. Nowadays I'm babysitting approx 600 linux
boxes (Debian) at work. However, my desktop at work still is a FreeBSD box

[mah@siteop-26] <~>uname -a
[16:19:43 on 08-03-26]
FreeBSD siteop-26.mobile.rz 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Wed Mar 12
11:42:44 CET 2008 root@siteop-26:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386