thanks for your feedback.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:54:34 +0100 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Boris Samorodov (Sat, 22 Mar 2008 03:56:49 +0300):

> > E.g. if someone is going to install, say print/acroread7, then the
> > system should detect which ports (upon which acroread depends): either
> > x11-toolkits/linux-pango (current 2.4.2 port) or
> > x11-toolkits/linux_k26-pango (future 2.6.16 port).

> When I look at k26 somehow I feel some dislike, but as I don't have
> any better idea... you chose the color.

Actually, that's your idea I played with:

Seriously, I don't like it too:
.. what if the next linux osrelease we will support appear to be
.. what if we decide to have ports to support both, say, fc6 and f8/f9,
.. what if we decide to use some other linux distribution (not
necessarily as a default) with 2.6.XX kernel?

The more I think about the naming the more I return to using a linux
distro name:
x11-toolkits/linux-pango and x11-toolkits/linux-f8-pango .

> > So, the value of LINUX_OSRELEASE is used to set a value to a new
> > variable LINUX_PORT_SUFFIX. Here is a proof of concept (though it

> LINUX_OSRELEASE_SUFFIX sounds more intuitive for mem but if you want to
> stick with LINUX_PORT_SUFFIX, it's ok for me.

If we decide to use a distribution name than it may be smth like

> > That concept may be introduced now even before the default for
> > linux.osrelease is changed. Current linux infrastructure ports
> > may not be touched -- they'll work as usual. Other linux ports may be
> > transferred one-by-one. And we'll get some application testing with
> > new linux infrastructure ports before official annouce of the change.
> >
> > That path seems to be soft and quiet, with least astonishment.

> I agree, this is well done.

Thanks. I even like it myself. ;-)

> Where do we have to introduce the *_PORT
> stuff? Do we need a, or can the be used
> for this? The strict answer may be no, but do we want to be that strict?

Well, I'd prefer to use one existing file: If/when
we use some other distro (I have some positive results with ubuntu)
then may be we will have to use and split into two files. But so far it's OK to me to use
the existing one.