--nextPart2191021.EqKlsMQSKb

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 06:55:16 pm Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2008-03-10 08:33, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > I still have the FreeBSD 2.1.5 set from Walnut Creek that a friend had
> > shipped to me after I expressed an interest to "learn unix"
> >
> > I sometimes wonder how different things would be if he'd been a linux
> > fan and shipped me some slackware cds or something.

> "There's no escape from Fate", at least not for some of us. My own UNIX
> road starts as a user of SunOS 4.X but the first UNIX-like system I
> installed on my own computer was Linux.
>
> A friend let me install Linux from his red InfoMagic CD-ROM set, and I
> still have my own blue Infomagic CD-ROM set, with Slackware 3.1 and the
> Redhat Linux "Picasso" release (with Linux kernel 1.2.13).
>
> After a few years of Linux fun, I borrowed an OpenBSD CD-ROM, managed to
> trash my partition table (because I didn't know enough about disklabels)
> and eventually hit upon the FreeBSD Handbook. The Handbook seemed very
> detailed, easy to read, and I realized I was actually _learning_ stuff
> by just reading it -- without having even installed FreeBSD yet.
>
> That was it, for me

I was so green with unix when I started that the friend who shipped me the =
cds=20
suggested I type in man man after I got the system installed. I was amazed=
=20
by the documentation shipped with the system, and it was painfully inadeque=
t=20
compared to today....I literally did a cd /bin ; ls ; and started reading t=
he=20
man pages for stuff one at a time. I also read the FreeBSD handbook throug=
h,=20
which in 1996 was a couple hours work...it's up to 900+ pages now.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB