This is a discussion on Re: samba and zfs (amd64?) - FreeBSD ; With prompting, I found a suitable pre-existing bug report. bugzilla.samba.org bug 4715 They added the option to set "directory name cache size = 0" on a per share basis. This has fixed my problems. Duncan On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 ...
With prompting, I found a suitable pre-existing bug report.
bugzilla.samba.org bug 4715
They added the option to set "directory name cache size = 0" on a per share
basis. This has fixed my problems.
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 02:55:35 pm Brian Biskeborn wrote:
> I've been seeing this since RC1 as well. Same platform here
> (7.0-release, amd64, samba 3.0.28,1 on ZFS). Under Windows, there are
> missing files, but no duplicates. Using mount_cifs on Linux, I think
> there are both missing files and duplicates (haven't checked for a
> while, though, so I could be wrong about the duplicates).
> This starts to happen in directories containing a few hundred items. I
> don't have any UFS shares here, so I can't vouch for ZFS being the
> problem. My usage of samba isn't exactly mission-critical, so I've been
> ignoring the issue.
> To anyone more familiar with samba or ZFS: does smbd use mmap for any
> directory operations? There was an apparent mmap bug on ZFS reported
> here a few weeks ago - I solved some problems I was having with dovecot
> (reported Feb 24) by disabling mmap there.
> Duncan Young wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I've been having problems with zfs, samba and large directories.
> > If I have a large zfs directory and try to accesses it via smb://, I have
> > parts of the directory missing (sometimes over 50%) and even duplicated.
> > I could not reproduce the problem on a UFS filesystem.
> > doing a mount_smbfs, everything is fine.
> > using windows (including cygwin) or konqueror via smb:// fails badly
> > (konqueror even worse than explorer).
> > I have been seeing this problem since 7.0-RC1, but only now gotten around
> > to pinning it down.
> > test program:
> > in a new directory
> > for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> > do
> > for j in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> > do
> > for k in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> > do
> > touch "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbcccccccc ccccccccc$i$j$k"
> > done
> > done
> > done
> > then try accessing from a windows box (or konqueror via smb://)
> > Both explorter and cygwin show the same results from windows.
> > A packet sniffer indicated that the data was being send inncorrectly
> > Could some others of you try to confirm (or not) my findings. I am
> > running 7.0-release (amd64) and samba-3.0.28,1.
> > I believe this to be a zfs issue due to my not being able to reproduce
> > the problem with UFS (not even once).
> > regards
> > Duncan
> > _______________________________________________
> > email@example.com mailing list
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/lis...reebsd-current
> > To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> > "firstname.lastname@example.org"
email@example.com mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "firstname.lastname@example.org"