Hi Attilio Rao!

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:00:41 +0100; Attilio Rao wrote about '[RFC] Remove NTFS kernel support':

> As exposed by several users, NTFS seems to be broken even before first
> VFS commits happeing around the end of December. Those commits exposed
> some problems about NTFS which are currently under investigation.
> Ultimately, This filesystem is also unmaintained at the moment.

> Speaking with jeff, we agreed on what can be a possible compromise:
> remove the kernel support for NTFS and maybe take care of the FUSE
> implementation.
> What I now propose is a small survey which can shade a light on us
> about what do you think about this idea and its implications:
> - Do you use NTFS?

Yes, occasionally. And I had scenarios when I was needed it withput Internet
access, FUSE, etc.

> - Are you interested in maintaining it?

Not in 8.0 timeline

> - Do you know a good reason to not use FUSE ntfs implementation? What
> the kernel counter part adds?

Localization: ntfs-3g requires UTF-8 as the only locale. And FreeBSD is not
good in supporting UTF-8 everywhere (syscons, ufs2, etc.), while kernel part
supports recoding to current locale's codepage. Valuable for people with non
Latin-1 set.

> - Do you think axing the kernel support a good idea?

No. It was said about FAT32 as most popular FS for file exchange, look at that
new USB flash devices with 4G+ sizes. People want to store 4G+ size files on
them (e.g. DVD images), so I've already seen some of them formatted to NTFS
instead of FAT32. Having support for them out of the box is good.

WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181 mailto:vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]