FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ?? - FreeBSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ?? - FreeBSD ; More info at http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf Page 18 and 19. Looks like CFS is the culprit. For info, please read https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754 Audio and Video performance is affected....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    More info at
    http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf

    Page 18 and 19.

    Looks like CFS is the culprit.

    For info, please read

    Audio and Video performance is affected.

  2. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    "pg" wrote in message
    > More info at
    >
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >
    > Page 18 and 19.
    >

    > Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >
    > For info, please read
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >
    > Audio and Video performance is affected.

    FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.

    I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    that it was unusable.

  3. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    "pg" wrote in message
    > More info at
    >
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >
    > Page 18 and 19.
    >

    > Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >
    > For info, please read
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >
    > Audio and Video performance is affected.

    FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.

    I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    that it was unusable.

  4. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Tony Drudge" mentions:

    >"pg" wrote in message
    >> More info at
    >>
    >> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>
    >> Page 18 and 19.
    >>

    >> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>
    >> For info, please read
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>
    >> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >
    >I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >that it was unusable.

    The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    "bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    up in /usr/local .. ugh!

    That and the goofy pathnames.

    Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.

    If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    be the "tipping point" for me.

    But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver project
    (excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    mainline kernel.

    Jamie
    Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  5. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "Tony Drudge" mentions:

    >"pg" wrote in message
    >> More info at
    >>
    >> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>
    >> Page 18 and 19.
    >>

    >> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>
    >> For info, please read
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>
    >> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >
    >I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >that it was unusable.

    The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    "bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    up in /usr/local .. ugh!

    That and the goofy pathnames.

    Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.

    If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    be the "tipping point" for me.

    But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver project
    (excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    mainline kernel.

    Jamie
    Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  6. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    "Jamie" wrote in message
    > In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    > "Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>
    >>"pg" wrote in message
    >>> More info at
    >>>
    >>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>>
    >>> Page 18 and 19.
    >>>

    >>> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>>
    >>> For info, please read
    >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>>
    >>> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >>FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>
    >>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most
    >>of
    >>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best
    >>and
    >>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>that it was unusable.

    > The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    > and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    > "bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    > up in /usr/local .. ugh!
    >
    > That and the goofy pathnames.
    >
    > Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.
    >
    > If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    > be the "tipping point" for me.
    >
    > But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver
    > project
    > (excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    > mainline kernel.

    FreeBSD is very fast and efficient. The BSD "jails" are much like "Zones"
    that Solaris has. An excellent and powerful feature.

  7. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    "Jamie" wrote in message
    > In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    > "Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>
    >>"pg" wrote in message
    >>> More info at
    >>>
    >>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>>
    >>> Page 18 and 19.
    >>>

    >>> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>>
    >>> For info, please read
    >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>>
    >>> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >>FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>
    >>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most
    >>of
    >>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best
    >>and
    >>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>that it was unusable.

    > The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    > and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    > "bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    > up in /usr/local .. ugh!
    >
    > That and the goofy pathnames.
    >
    > Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.
    >
    > If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    > be the "tipping point" for me.
    >
    > But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver
    > project
    > (excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    > mainline kernel.

    FreeBSD is very fast and efficient. The BSD "jails" are much like "Zones"
    that Solaris has. An excellent and powerful feature.

  8. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    nospam@geniegate.com (Jamie) writes:

    >In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >"Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>
    >>"pg" wrote in message
    >>> More info at
    >>>
    >>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>>
    >>> Page 18 and 19.
    >>>

    >>> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>>
    >>> For info, please read
    >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>>
    >>> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >>FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>
    >>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>that it was unusable.

    >The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    >and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    >"bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    >up in /usr/local .. ugh!

    >That and the goofy pathnames.

    >Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.

    >If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    >be the "tipping point" for me.

    Ignore the post you replied to. He has so many problems one suspects that
    the problem was actually somewhere over the keyboard. Ie, noone else has
    such a series of problems, which means that his report is totally atypical,
    if not a lie.

    >But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver project
    >(excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    >mainline kernel.

    >Jamie
    >--
    >http://www.geniegate.com Custom web programming
    >Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  9. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    nospam@geniegate.com (Jamie) writes:

    >In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >"Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>
    >>"pg" wrote in message
    >>> More info at
    >>>
    >>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>>
    >>> Page 18 and 19.
    >>>

    >>> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>>
    >>> For info, please read
    >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>>
    >>> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >>FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>
    >>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>that it was unusable.

    >The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    >and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    >"bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    >up in /usr/local .. ugh!

    >That and the goofy pathnames.

    >Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.

    >If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    >be the "tipping point" for me.

    Ignore the post you replied to. He has so many problems one suspects that
    the problem was actually somewhere over the keyboard. Ie, noone else has
    such a series of problems, which means that his report is totally atypical,
    if not a lie.

    >But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver project
    >(excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    >mainline kernel.

    >Jamie
    >--
    >http://www.geniegate.com Custom web programming
    >Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  10. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    ____/ Unruh on Thursday 06 March 2008 15:55 : \____

    > nospam@geniegate.com (Jamie) writes:
    >
    >>In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >>"Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>>
    >>>"pg" wrote in message

    >>>FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>>
    >>>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >>>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >>>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>>that it was unusable.

    >>The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    >>and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    >>"bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    >>up in /usr/local .. ugh!

    >>That and the goofy pathnames.

    >>Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.

    >>If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    >>be the "tipping point" for me.

    > Ignore the post you replied to. He has so many problems one suspects that
    > the problem was actually somewhere over the keyboard. Ie, noone else has
    > such a series of problems, which means that his report is totally atypical,
    > if not a lie.

    "Tony Drudge" is one among almost 100 pseudonyms used by this obscene Microsoft
    liar and Munchkin whose real name is Scott Douglas. Ignore the lies.

    >>But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver project
    >>(excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    >>mainline kernel.

    >>Jamie
    >>--
    >>http://www.geniegate.com Custom web programming
    >>Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  11. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    ____/ Unruh on Thursday 06 March 2008 15:55 : \____

    > nospam@geniegate.com (Jamie) writes:
    >
    >>In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >>"Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>>
    >>>"pg" wrote in message

    >>>FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>>
    >>>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >>>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >>>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>>that it was unusable.

    >>The thing I didn't like about BSD's in general is the way "GNU is bad"
    >>and everything was in duplicate. gtar & tar make, bmake & gmake ....
    >>"bash sucks 'cause it's GNU, you should be using csh" and things end
    >>up in /usr/local .. ugh!

    >>That and the goofy pathnames.

    >>Having said that.. I really, *really* wish linux had BSD jails.

    >>If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    >>be the "tipping point" for me.

    > Ignore the post you replied to. He has so many problems one suspects that
    > the problem was actually somewhere over the keyboard. Ie, noone else has
    > such a series of problems, which means that his report is totally atypical,
    > if not a lie.

    "Tony Drudge" is one among almost 100 pseudonyms used by this obscene Microsoft
    liar and Munchkin whose real name is Scott Douglas. Ignore the lies.

    >>But really, I just wish linux had BSD jails, I mean there is vserver project
    >>(excellent, too bad it isn't up to date) and friends, but nothing in the
    >>mainline kernel.

    >>Jamie
    >>--
    >>http://www.geniegate.com Custom web programming
    >>Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz
    Tasks: 140 total, 1 running, 139 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  12. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:19:27 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:

    > "pg" wrote in message

    >> More info at
    >>
    >> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>
    >> Page 18 and 19.
    >>

    >> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>
    >> For info, please read
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>
    >> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    > FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >
    > I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most
    > of my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at
    > best and video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux
    > ran so slow that it was unusable.

    Oh come on, now. Linux is eminently usable on my 1ghz mini-itx (1ghz VIA
    C3). If it's not usable, it's because you screwed it up.

  13. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:19:27 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:

    > "pg" wrote in message

    >> More info at
    >>
    >> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>
    >> Page 18 and 19.
    >>

    >> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>
    >> For info, please read
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>
    >> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    > FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >
    > I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most
    > of my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at
    > best and video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux
    > ran so slow that it was unusable.

    Oh come on, now. Linux is eminently usable on my 1ghz mini-itx (1ghz VIA
    C3). If it's not usable, it's because you screwed it up.

  14. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:19:27 -0500, Tony Drudge wrote:
    >
    >> "pg" wrote in message

    >>> More info at
    >>>
    >>> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>>
    >>> Page 18 and 19.
    >>>

    >>> Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >>>
    >>> For info, please read
    >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>>
    >>> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    >> FreeBSD is DEFINITELY faster than linux.
    >>
    >> I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most
    >> of my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at
    >> best and video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux
    >> ran so slow that it was unusable.

    > Oh come on, now. Linux is eminently usable on my 1ghz mini-itx (1ghz VIA
    > C3). If it's not usable, it's because you screwed it up.

    "Tony Drudge" is the teranews nymshifter.
    His credibility is far in the negative values. In short, he is lying.
    Nothing he writes can be trusted. Absolutely nothing
    --
    Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

  15. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >>"Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>>
    >>>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >>>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >>>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>>that it was unusable.

    >>If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    >>be the "tipping point" for me.

    > Ignore the post you replied to. He has so many problems one suspects that
    > the problem was actually somewhere over the keyboard. Ie, noone else has
    > such a series of problems, which means that his report is totally atypical,
    > if not a lie.

    The part about his Intel core duo machine with Linux is total made-up
    bull****. Not one bit of it is true.

    --
    The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers.

  16. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    * Unruh peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>In <47cff1e3$0$30516$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    >>"Tony Drudge" mentions:
    >>>
    >>>I tried linux on a new Intel core dual machine with 2-Gigs of RAM. Most of
    >>>my hardware wasn't recognized. No audio, networking was spotty at best and
    >>>video only ran in 800x600 mode. The worst thing is that linux ran so slow
    >>>that it was unusable.

    >>If BSD is faster than linux, I might check it out again. This might
    >>be the "tipping point" for me.

    > Ignore the post you replied to. He has so many problems one suspects that
    > the problem was actually somewhere over the keyboard. Ie, noone else has
    > such a series of problems, which means that his report is totally atypical,
    > if not a lie.

    The part about his Intel core duo machine with Linux is total made-up
    bull****. Not one bit of it is true.

    --
    The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to
    factor large prime numbers.
    -- Bill Gates, The Road Ahead (1995), hardcover edition (corrected in
    paperback)

  17. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:14:56 -0800 (PST), pg wrote:

    > More info at
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >
    > Page 18 and 19.
    >

    > Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >
    > For info, please read
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >
    > Audio and Video performance is affected.

    To be fair, a large percentage of people configure their own FreeBSD
    kernels (and in fact you have to to get the new FreeBSD scheduler), and at
    the same time optimize the builds of the userland tools.

    In that way, it's a lot more like Gentoo than your typical linux distro, so
    i'd like to see a comparison of FreeBSD 7 against an optmized gentoo.

  18. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:14:56 -0800 (PST), pg wrote:

    > More info at
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >
    > Page 18 and 19.
    >

    > Looks like CFS is the culprit.
    >
    > For info, please read
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >
    > Audio and Video performance is affected.

    To be fair, a large percentage of people configure their own FreeBSD
    kernels (and in fact you have to to get the new FreeBSD scheduler), and at
    the same time optimize the builds of the userland tools.

    In that way, it's a lot more like Gentoo than your typical linux distro, so
    i'd like to see a comparison of FreeBSD 7 against an optmized gentoo.

  19. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:14:56 -0800 (PST), pg wrote:
    >
    >> More info at
    >> http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scal...%20Preview.pdf
    >>
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/190754
    >>
    >> Audio and Video performance is affected.

    > To be fair, a large percentage of people configure their own FreeBSD
    > kernels (and in fact you have to to get the new FreeBSD scheduler), and at
    > the same time optimize the builds of the userland tools.
    >
    > In that way, it's a lot more like Gentoo than your typical linux distro, so
    > i'd like to see a comparison of FreeBSD 7 against an optmized gentoo.

    I wouldn't be surprised about any speed comparison between Linux and
    FreeBSD. I suspect they tend to leapfrog each other in features/speed.

    So many things to try, so little time!

    --
    DOS is ugly and interferes with users' experience.
    -- Bill Gates

  20. Re: FreeBSD 7 faster than Linux ??