--Signature=_Mon__3_Mar_2008_14_13_13_+0100_GJiE3Qlo I=69Tyx9

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:31:34 -0500
Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 00:12 +0100, Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:
> > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:21:54 -0500
> > Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >=20
> > >=20

evolution takes over a minute to start, there are no error messages if I r=
un it from terminal window. First I was running 6.3 but I upgraded to 7.0 =
thinking that it might of solve the problem but it didn't. What amazes me =
is, I've got ubuntu installed on the same machine and it only takes 3 secon=
ds to start, also it only takes 3 seconds to start in windows. Evolution r=
unning like this is completely worthless. Any ideas what might be causing =
this? Please respond to my email address also.

ber of

r is

unneeded

, all the plug-ins are enabled under ubuntu and still starts in 3 seconds. =
Are you trying to say that the FreeBSD loader is kind of primitive compari=
ng to the linux loader?

longer

that's a lot longer than linux with all the plugins enabled. As far I'm c=
oncerned evolution is out of my list of programs, I still have my doubts ab=
out the real reason as to why it takes so long to open. In reality there's=
no real reason as to why a program will take so long to open, if that's th=
e case evolution will loose a lot of users in the FreeBSD community.
> > >=20
> > > You're free to build Evolution and e-d-s with debugging symbols, and
> > > watch it load in gdb if you don't believe me. Last time I did this, I
> > > found most of the time spent in the loader. Any optimizations would
> > > certainly be welcome.

> >=20
> > I suspect that the patch in this PR would have greatly helped:
> >=20
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D104877
> >=20
> > Indeed, a casual inspection of libexec/rtdl-elf/rtld.c shows that the
> > SO_NEEDED lists (Obj_Entry.needed) are walked recursively. Removing
> > the useless entries might therefore have a dramatic impact on
> > performance.

>=20
> This is what mezz suspected as well, and I believe he will test this.
>=20
> >=20
> > Unfortunately, the affected maintainer has closed the PR, mainly
> > because he could not understand it. And portmgr has backed the
> > maintainer, mainly because of personal friendship.

>=20
> We did not side with ade out of friendship. We had to weigh the benefit
> of this patch against the benefit of having a dedicated autotools
> maintainer. Since autotools is quite complex, but very critical to a
> large number of ports, and since we didn't have people lining up to be
> autotools maintainers, we opted to respect ade's maintainership of
> libtool, and his decision.

That argument does not stand, since there was at least one person
lined up:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cg...akefile.diff?=
r1=3D1.55;r2=3D1.56;f=3Dh

--=20