Quoting gregoryd.freebsd@free.fr:

> Quoting "Chris H." :
>
>> If you ask me, kernel developer &| server install should be on
>> disc1, and desktop^*$ should go on disc99.
>>
>> FreeBSD
>> ...the power to serve.
>> ----------------^^^^^

> eh ?
> ???
>
> So what do you propose to use as workstations with your FreeBSD servers ?
>

> (Not that I see much difference in philosophy, nowadays: servers used to be
> those machines with high throughput all along the night, and now they
> tend to be
> those over-reactive transactional n-tier service-providers. What's so
> different
> with serving desktop-user requests... Sigh.)
>
> Anyway: are you deliberately proposing to concentrate on server,
> period. And to
> hell with other users (if one can use FreeBSD to be
> desktop-productive so much
> the better, but we shouldn't put too much effort in that) ?

Greetings,
I would assert that FreeBSD is first and foremost a Server OS.
The fact that it can also provide a full blown desktop, is so much
the better.
In this context, I believe that it makes more sense to place the
server related install on the first disc. This makes it possible
to install a server with the least amount of effort. It /also/
makes it quite possible for a would-be desktop user to likely
only need to exchange discs /one/ time. As the most frequently
used desktop items will fit onto their own disc (one disc).

Bottom line: this arrangement should ultimately make everyones
life easier, and maybe even happier.

--Chris H

> gregory

panic: kernel trap (ignored)