On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:41:07AM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm researching the topic of PAUSE counters (receiving side) for
> FreeBSD systems.
> That's a sort of flow control with ethernet, see e.g.:
> http://www.techfest.com/networking/l...net3.htm#3.2.1
> Cisco switches seem to receive and count them, which helps
> to find short-term (seconds) overloaded links.

FreeBSD has no such framework in mii layer yet so it's completely
up to driver. em(4) handles flow-control in driver so it can handle

> Can FreeBSD 6.x or 7.x handle PAUSE frames, at least receiving them ?

Receiving pause frames have no problem on any driver but most
drivers does not respond with the pause frames. AFAIK marius@ has
a flow-control patch so I guess FreeBSD will have generic
flow-control capability which will make it available on all ethernet
drivers with minor modification.

> Thanks for any pointer!

Pyun YongHyeon
freebsd-stable@freebsd.org mailing list