On fre, feb 29, 2008 at 03:04:58pm -0500, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> I recently updated my existing 6.x systems to 7.0. Excited to see ZFS
> support, after looking through the current documentation, it doesn't appear
> we can use ZFS as the / filesystem, or am I mistaken (or is that even
> advisable). The sysinstall doesn't seem to provide you with the option
> for ZFS on the newly created partitions. So I could have / as UFS2 and
> /usr (et al) as ZFS.
> Could someone clarify? Perhaps I missed something in the documentation.

You can use ZFS for the root filesystem, but you cannot boot from it yet.
Guides for how to set up ZFS and what's supported can be found here:

Sysinstall doesn't support ZFS yet, so you'll have to do some tricks after
install to get ZFS up and running. Remember, the support is experimental. But
I definately recommend to give it a try

Ulf Lilleengen
freebsd-fs@freebsd.org mailing list