--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:07:08AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
>=20
>> Robert Watson writes:
>>=20
>>> We also support interface renaming... Does newbus mind if you rename t=

he=20
>>> devices in its tree?

>>=20
>> I'm not sure whether you're replying to my proposal or to Julian's=20
>> interpretation / extrapolation of it... but I have no intention of=20
>> hooking interfaces into newbus. I just want a sysctl tree for struct=20
>> ifnet like we have a sysctl tree for device_t, to access interface=20
>> parameters which are not easily accessible through ifconfig.

>=20
> Hmm. When I look at net/if.c, I don't see renaming support, so perhaps=

=20
> this was just a proposal I was thinking of and not actual code. In eithe=

r=20
> case, I think the question stands: in a world where interface renaming is=

=20
> supported, is your plan to also rename the if.X sysctl tree created for t=

he=20
> interface? Does sysctl have a facility to do this?

I think that one way or another it should be possible to reach the
sysctl by if_index since that is the only stable way to access an
interface though out its life. I might actually suggest making that the
only way and have if.1.name be available.

-- Brooks

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4--