Daniel Eischen writes:
> Not to discount any of your suggestions, but isn't the better
> performance of gettimeofday() (and perhaps clock_gettime() also)
> in Linux because they have access to the time in userland and
> can implement it without a system call? I seem to recall this
> being mentioned before, I could be wrong...

Please don't bring this up again. Search the archives instead. There
are very good reasons why this was solved the way it was in FreeBSD.
Executive summary:

a) gettimeofday() *is* a system call in Linux.
b) gettimeofday() is slow in FreeBSD because it is correct.

Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no