Robert Watson wrote:
>... One advantage
> Solaris has is that it runs primarily on expensive 64-bit servers with
> lots of memory. Part of the problem on FreeBSD is that people run ZFS
> on sytems with 32-bit CPUs and a lot less memory. It could be that ZFS
> should be enforcing higher minimum hardware requirements to mount (i.e.,
> refusing to run on systems with 32-bit address spaces or <4gb of memory
> and inadequate tuning).

Before ZFS was released, I was using it internally on a 32bit
desktop. It never panic'd although it did get very slow after
a while because of the way it managed memory (and probably some
bugs while in early alpha/beta.

At work I run it on my Ultra20 desktop with Solaris 10.
It has an AMD64 CPU and I'm pretty only 2GB of RAM,
but I'll have to check on the RAM.