--=-t4cK4Oqkyipj57cM+FV0

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 13:15 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:26:01 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrot=

e:
>=20
> > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:06:50 -0600, Joe Marcus Clarke =20
> > wrote:

ut

> >> To those interested, I updated the port to 0.7.0, but there are caveat=

s.
> >> I have not tested the runtime. It requires the Linux SG SCSI support
> >> which means it's limited to recent RELENG_6, RELENG_7, or -CURRENT. Y=

ou
> >> will also need the following in your kernel:
> >>
> >> device sg

> > Interesting, I don't know about sg. Bummer, there is no module for it. =

I =20
> > can rebuild my kernel tonight or tomorrow and test it.

>=20
> Umm... It looks like HAL doesn't like sg device in kernel. The HAL just =20
> doesn't function unless I boot in old kernel that has no sg. If I insert =

=20
> blank CD or DVD and it doesn't auto recoginze blank CD/DVD unless I reboo=

t =20
> to use kernel without sg. I have tested it twice to make sure to boot in =

=20
> kernel with and without sg. If you want me to debug, then I can and I wil=

l =20
> have to check in FAQ for how to debug HAL.

Looks like sg isn't going to work, then. It would be a massive
undertaking to port brasero to CAM the way it is now since only a file
descriptor is passed to the SCSI code, and CAM would require the whole
path (or a cam device struct). This will mean lots of ifdefs.

What might be better is to conditionalize the SCSI backend (maybe create
a pluggable medium backends), and add either a HAL or a CAM backend to
that. I don't have the time to lay this framework, but if the brasero
people did it, I would add the CAM backend (and HAL is already there).

Joe

--=20

--=-t4cK4Oqkyipj57cM+FV0

--=-t4cK4Oqkyipj57cM+FV0--