--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:04:43AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Jason Slack wrote:
>> I want to try version 7 as it has items of interest to me, but I am not=

=20
>> one
>> to continually wipe and reload my machine, can you upgrade from the test
>> releases of 7 available now to the final release when ready? Or do you=

=20
>> have
>> to wipe?
>> =20

> You can easily upgrade from 7.0-BETA to 7.0-RELEASE without erasing your=

=20
> drive. Historically, FreeBSD has always been upgradeable even through=

=20
> major releases, 4 to 5, 5 to 6. Sometimes that has been more painful tha=

n=20
> others. Upgrading within a major release, 6.1 to 6.2, has always been=20
> pretty easy.

Remember to remove old files and libraries with `make delete-old' and
`make delete-old-libs' as explained in /usr/src/Makefile.

It is advisable to remove and install your ports from scratch when
upgrading to a new major version, because the automatic port updating
tools don't always do this correctly.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914 B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--