Skip Ford wrote:

> If the operators were required to support it, I think everyone
> should slave the roots, not just those running busy servers.

Actually I don't think that's the right way to do it at all. What is
needed here is a reliable (DNSSEC, or at least TSIG) out of band
method to allow "the masses" to slave the root without loading the
root servers themselves. I'd like to see consensus and resources build
around that. ICANN is making some tentative steps in that direction
already: https://ns.iana.org/dnssec/status.html

> Just like I'd think everyone should sync with stratum-1 servers if
> those operators supported everyone doing that.

I've already pointed out that this is a silly analogy, as the two
things have nothing in common. At the most basic level:

Individual hosts don't need Everyone needs the root data
to sync with a strat 1 ntpd

The strat 1 folks have asked The roots are open to all by design
people not to do that