On 10/25/06 18:43, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Daniel Eischen writes:
> | On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Doug Barton wrote:
> |
> | > After a long (and sometimes ugly) ordeal with a few other manufacturers, I
> | > finally decided on a Dell Latitude D620, which is sitting here next to me. It
> | > has the new Core 2 Duo, and lots of other exciting bells and whistles. The
> | > only negative so far is the 3945 wireless, but I have an atheros pccard to
> | > use in the meantime.
> | >
> | > I'm wondering what experiences people have with this, gotchas for FreeBSD,
> | > etc. I am planning to dual boot windows and -current. I am particularly
> | > interested in being able to suspend/resume in freebsd, so if anyone has got
> | > that working, please share the secrets. Also, has anyone with a core 2 duo
> | > tried running the 64 bit freebsd?
> |
> | I have a similar Dell, you can search the mobile archives for
> | some of my postings. I have a very alpha 3945 driver by Damien
> | before he left the project that gets me by, and the sound just
> | started working with the HDA stuff committed to current recently.
> | Graphics works without AGP in the kernel, but with AGP, the
> | 945 video driver in recent Xorg doesn't work. You also have to
> | use 915resolution to set the video mode.
> |
> | Also, I didn't think the Core 2 Duo was 64-bit capable. Is
> | it?
> The _2_ version is supposed to be 64-bit. I waiting to get such
> a laptop from work with a 19.2x12 screen. I will be using
> it in 64bit mode and compiling for both 32bit and 64bit stuff.
> Since the other 64bit variants work Celeron etc. I would expect
> the mobile version to just work.

I have a D820 (and a D620 sitting around at the office). This D820 has
a Core 2 Duo in it, and it does indeed support 64bit OS.

Suspend/resume is not currently working, but I would *love* to have it
work too. Bruno Ducrot (hangs out on acpi@) might have some input, and
so might Nate Lawson on that. It suspends, but no resume.

Eric Anderson Sr. Systems Administrator Centaur Technology