There is a project at updating the VIA
display driver. However, the most recent release (unichrome-X-r30.tar.gz)
gets a segfault on at least some machines (e.g. mine). Following the
advice of their mailing list, I retrieved the most recent file from their
CVS repository, and the core dump was fixed! Hurray!

Here are the steps I took:

1. cd /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server
2. make deinstall
3. make patch

This created a populated source tree into which I could substitute the
files from sourceforge.

4. cd work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers
5. mv via via.bak
6. mkdir via
7. (copy the files from the sourceforge CVS tree into the new via directory)
8. make Makefiles
10. make reinstall

I now had a working X server. -- George