Howdy!

My IBM Thinkpad A30p's ATI video chip got cooked last year,
leaving me with an unreadable screen full of artifacts. I
finally bought a replacement mobo a few days ago and installed
it this evening. It's now running artifact free! Yay!

Anyway, I'm no longer running FreeBSD on this laptop. I'm
currently running Gentoo Linux. But it would be trivial
to switch back if needed.

I'm using gkrellm under linux to monitor my CPU temp, and
I'm noticing that it runs quite hot. The fan doesn't kick
in until the CPU hits 80C! That's a little too close for
comfort, IMO.

I think I remember seeing other posts from Thinkpad users
mentioning high temps under ACPI. Has anyone found a way
to cool these things down?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,