Hello,

I'm having terrible problems getting java working properly on FreeBSD-7.

I've tried java/diablo-jdk15 -- this doesn't work very well at all.
It coredumps running azureus and behaves very oddly running jbidwatcher
(my two current "test applications").

java/linux-sun-jdk15 and java/linux-sun-jdk16 do work with jbidwatcher.
In fact it seems to be fine (I had some problem with _all_ the jdks
disliking a MAXDSIZ greater than 900MB). However, azureus cannot
be compiled (or run) against a non-native jdk, so I need to compile
my own...

I've tried compiling java/jdk15 and java/jdk16 bootstrapping with
all three binary jdks (diablo 1.5, linux 1.5, linux 1.6).

They all give the same problem:

Running jbidwatcher or azureus results in a mass of messages
like the following, whenever network IO is attempted:

java.net.ConnectException: Invalid argument
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:494)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$6.run( HttpURLConnection.java:1223)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.http.HttpURLConn...tion.java:1217)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.http.HttpURLConn...ction.java:906)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.https.HttpsURLCo...nImpl.java:234)
at Http.receiveData(Unknown Source)
at Http.receivePage(Unknown Source)
at ebayServer.getSignInCookie(Unknown Source)
at ebayServer.getSignInCookie(Unknown Source)
at ebayServer.getNecessaryCookie(Unknown Source)
at ebayServer.messageAction(Unknown Source)
at PlainMessageQueue.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Invalid argument
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl .java:333)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSoc ketImpl.java:195)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.j ava:182)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java :155)
at sun.net.http://www.http.HttpClient.openServe...lient.java:387)
at sun.net.http://www.http.HttpClient.openServe...lient.java:522)
at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.(HttpsClient.java:278)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.https.HttpsClien...lient.java:335)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.https.AbstractDe...ction.java:172)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.http.HttpURLConn...ction.java:765)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.https.AbstractDe...ction.java:158)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.http.HttpURLConn...ction.java:934)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.http.HttpURLConn...tion.java:1956)
at sun.net.http://www.protocol.https.HttpsURLCo...nImpl.java:287)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesFromPage(Unknown Source)
at CookieJar.getAllCookiesFromPage(Unknown Source)
... 6 more

I've put the full output of jbidwatcher at: http://www.yadt.co.uk/~davidt/java/jbidwatcher.out

There is also:

http://www.yadt.co.uk/~davidt/java/ifconfig.out
http://www.yadt.co.uk/~davidt/java/dmesg.out
http://www.yadt.co.uk/~davidt/java/make.conf
http://www.yadt.co.uk/~davidt/java/kernel-config
http://www.yadt.co.uk/~davidt/java/loader.conf

If anyone has _any_ ideas (or needs any other information), please let me know...

This is driving me nuts!

I briefly tried writing a small java testcase to trigger the problem, but
my java is rusty and I ran out of time and patience -- my extremely brief
test seemed to work ok and I started to think it may be related to
multi-threading... If I can't fix it any other way, I'll give it another
shot.

--
David Taylor