Hi,

I run native jdk1.5 on FreeBSD 6.1. Without almost any problems ;-)
Usual stuff: tomcat, struts, hibernate .

I've started recently new distributed project based on a RMI technology.
I'm developing it both on Linux and FreeBSD. The linux environment gives
me no problems, everything 'just works' ;-) Unfortunately I have a lot
of problems on the FreeBSD side.

rmiregistry uses a lot of cpu power, up to 100%. Binding services to
registry is very unpredictable: sometimes it works, sometimes don't. I
have no idea why. I do 'kill -9' to rmiregistry and all java processes
to rebind again, but with no success. The exception says:

INFO 2006-10-29 17:33:51 RMIRepositoryServerImpl:main - Exception in
main()
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connection establishment;
nested exception is:
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection( TCPChannel.java:274)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCP Channel.java:171)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.newCall(UnicastRef.java: 306)
at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.bind(Unknown Source)
at
xxx.server.rmi.RMIRepositoryServerImpl.main(RMIRep ositoryServerImpl.java:69)

Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream. java:129)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStre am.java:218)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStre am.java:235)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readByte(DataInputStream.j ava:241)
at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection( TCPChannel.java:215)

Of course RMI port is open, I can telnet to it with no problems. There's
no firewall.

Do you guys use RMI with FreeBSD?