Hello,

A couple of days ago I moved a very thread-intensive Java application =
from a server running Linux to a server running FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE and =
jdk-1.4.2p7. The server has an Athlon XP 2600+ processor and 512 MB of =
memory.

The application services around 700 concurrent clients during peak hours =
and creates at least one thread for each connection, with many =
connections requiring 2+ threads. The total number of threads during =
peak hours is usually between 1600 and 2200.

The problem: During peak hours, the JVM dies several times an hour with =
no indication of why. Nothing is written to stdout or stderr, there's no =
log file, no core dump, and nothing in /var/log/messages.

Late at night, when the number of concurrent users drops to 300-400, =
there are no crashes and the JVM runs stable for several hours until the =
next day.

FWIW, I tried linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.07_1 but the results were even worse: =
The JVM would crash extremely often (I don't think it ever lasted longer =
than 5 minutes), but at least it did write an error log file and a core =
dump. The error log file always began with:

> An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the =

VM.
> Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=3D0x81B9EE8
> Function=3D[Unknown.]
> Library=3D(N/A)

The backtrace shown in the "Current Java thread" section of the error =
log file was different every time, but it usually pointed to parts of my =
code that either created a new thread or interrupted an existing thread.

This problem does not occur when the application is run on Linux.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Nick