Robert Watson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Yuri wrote:
>
> >Thank you for letting me know about this new feature procstat.
> >
> >But is there any workaround in 6.3? I need to port one package that needs
> >to lookup file names by FDs to the current FreeBSD and need some solution
> >now.

> If the port uses a script to extract the data, a tool like lsof may do the
> trick. However, I'm not sure there are any native APIs to query that data
> "as shipped" in 6.3. Once I've had some reasonable feedback on
> procstat(1),

Well, the header file procstat.h is still missing from the tarball
AFAICT so I don't know how many people are using it.

Not sure what type of feedback you want, but I've been using it
since you posted the link and it works as advertised. I like
being able to see the vm map without using procfs.

I don't like having a procstat(1) utility along with a ps(1)
utility. "procstat" seems short for process status as does "ps".
Seems like procstat(1) should be a library with ps(1) the
frontend, or ps(1) should be merged with procstat(1).

Plus, the name "procstat" sounds an awful lot like a certain part
of the body that makes me uncomfortable in my chair. Do you
really want to spend the rest of your life asking people to see
their procstat output? ;-)

But, it works fine and provides access to information that's not
readily available by other means.

--
Skip