On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Yuri wrote:

> Thank you for letting me know about this new feature procstat.
>
> But is there any workaround in 6.3? I need to port one package that needs to
> lookup file names by FDs to the current FreeBSD and need some solution now.

If the port uses a script to extract the data, a tool like lsof may do the
trick. However, I'm not sure there are any native APIs to query that data "as
shipped" in 6.3. Once I've had some reasonable feedback on procstat(1), I'll
merge it into CVS and start it on the MFC route, but 6.3 is almost certainly
too soon for it to ship as part of that release. I don't know if there will
be a 6.4 or not, but I would anticipate procstat(1) appearing in 7.1, and
6-STABLE if there are requests. procstat(1) mostly relies on existing
sysctls, and adds two new ones for the purposes of exporting the file
descriptor and VM information only, so it is a fairly straight forward MFC.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge