the problem is not related to the cf reader, the cf reader is working
with windows
my real problem is the sata controller VT8237A not seen by freebsd

I have the same sata problem even when the cf reader is disconnecter

thanks

til now, I tried several linux / bsd
freebsd 6.2-stable crash
freebsd 7-current crash (the last snapshot I found on ftp)
netbsd crash
openbsd not tested
debian 4 works but I dont like linux

--