Ok, so in my effort to find out the choke point for pkg_add, and in the
process I've tried both struss and strace, which have failed because
they weren't tracking the right PID and weren't following forks (seemed
like procfs is all mucked up even though it's mounted and appears to be
working to some extent --only failing 33%~75% of the time ..).

However, I was able to get ktrace output. The only problem is that
ktrace(1) apparently outputs only in binary, instead of plaintext
output. Can I convert it to plaintext somehow and process it?

Thanks,
-Garrett